Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 3:04:24 PM EDT
Elite magazines

I recently got the opportunity to test and evaluate one of the Elite Gen II magazines.  It looks like there are still some bugs to work out with these magazines.  Hopefully this mag just missed the quality control guy.  But at a list price of $44.00, I would expect these to be of better quality.

The Elite magazine appears to be a slightly longer magazine tube (ala Tripp and ACT-MAG) with a standard Metalform follower and spring and a Tripp Research floor plate.  The magazine loads easily, comes apart easily and drops free from the gun.  The exterior finish is rough and, as a result, the mag does not drop free from my test pistol as fast as a Wilson or Power Mag.

The test pistol was a Springfield Loaded that has been reliable with ball and LSWC ammo.  The gun runs fine with Power Mags, Wilson 8-rounders and my mix of GI-type, Shooting Star and "whatever else I have found" mags.  Using the Elite II mag, I experienced my only failure to feed.  This occurred after using the Elite through several cycles.  Once the follower and mag tube got a little dirty, the follower started dragging just enough to prevent reliable feeding of the last round.  Even with the last round difficulties, the mag did continue to lock the slide open after the last shot.  Even with the magazine clean, the follower still rubs and drags on the inside of the tube.

It looks like these magazines could either benefit from the use of Tripp Research followers to go along with the base plates or some additional polishing and fitting of the steel follower to the mag tube.

These don't seem to be worth even close to the list price.  Sorry.

The Elite Mag compared to the old "tired and true."

Both mags disassembled

The Elite spring and follower compared to a Tripp Research spring and follower
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the thorough review.  I had never heard of these, but had I seen them, I probably would have spent the money to try them out.  Now I know not to bother.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
1911 Forum

It looks like they offer great customer service!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
At $44 a mag, they had better work right...you can get 2 Wilson mags for that cost.

I like the round count markings, but they don't look to be worth the $44 a pop..not when I can get Wilson mags for $21 a mag from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:06:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Melvin_Johnson: Wow, $44 for one mag, that is pretty expensive.  I've bought Colt 8 rounders for something like $25each at the local gunshow, and I've never had a problem with them shooting at the local indoor range.  I've had 8 round 10mm Auto Metalform mags no problems either.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
At $44 a mag, they had better work right...you can get 2 Wilson mags for that cost.

I like the round count markings, but they don't look to be worth the $44 a pop..not when I can get Wilson mags for $21 a mag from Brownell's.

I agree.  Wilson mags have been, and will continue to be, what I judge all 1911 magazines against.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  Wilson mags have been, and will continue to be, what I judge all 1911 magazines against.

Ditto...I see no reason to change mags. My Wilson's have had thousands upon thousands of rounds through them and continue to function.

Unless Wilson goes through a design change that changes the fit and function of their magazines, I'll continue to buy Wilson's.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ditto...I see no reason to change mags. My Wilson's have had thousands upon thousands of rounds through them and continue to function.

Unless Wilson goes through a design change that changes the fit and function of their magazines, I'll continue to buy Wilson's.

I just special ordered three of these from Brownell's for $25.00 each.  I like the slightly extended length, as it makes these makes much easier to insert in a pistol with the slide closed.  If they give me problems like the trial/loaner mag did, I'll gut them and use Tripp springs and followers to upgrade.

Here's what I've got coming.  I'm hoping the polished sides and interior will be more reliable than the matte black finish.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the review/heads-up.  The follower on these mags looks "springy".  I wonder if trying a Wilson follower would help?  I'll stick with Wilson 8rdr's for the range and 7rdr's for carry.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just special ordered three of these from Brownell's for $25.00 each.  I like the slightly extended length, as it makes these makes much easier to insert in a pistol with the slide closed.  If they give me problems like the trial/loaner mag did, I'll gut them and use Tripp springs and followers to upgrade.

Here's what I've got coming.  I'm hoping the polished sides and interior will be more reliable than the matte black finish.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/magazines/45-747E.jpg

Brownell's can get them...hmmm...I going to have to hear some really aewsome things about them, from end users, before I change my mags.

I hope they work for you...and don't forget to let us know!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#11]
These mags do offer some nice features.  

The Tripp base plates are easily removable for cleaning.  The base plates have small dimples moulded in for marking/numbering.
The mags are of an extended length and are designed as 8-rounders and not a 7-rounder with an additional round jammed in for good measure.  As a result, the mags load easily and seat easily with the slide forward.

Brownell's said it'll be three or four weeks before my mags arrive from the vendor.  I'll post an update once I get them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top