Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 12:29:38 PM EDT
Ive been looking into these, I want the "original" look and these keep popping up on internet searches, so if anyone has one, how are they???
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You will most likely have problems with the AO. All of the ones I have seen had a lot of parts out of spec. They would not operate reliably. Poor quality is an understatement....

Charles the Gunsmith.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one...  

It was honestly the worst firearm I have owned.  It was improperly heat treated, it would not reliably shoot an entire magazine and the factory parts kept breaking.  Customer service was less than forthright with me in their representations on how they'd make the situation right.  

I do understand that your mileage may vary, however I'm never ever buying one again or for that matter any other auto-ordnance products.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]

SA GI.45 WW-II Repro,  modified with new internals, S&A Checkered MSH, USGI Grips, USGI Slide Stop, Kahr/AO USGI Style Stub Thumb Safety.

If this doesn;t satisfy your "GI-45" needs, try the real thing for 3 times the cost!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/drshame/GI.jpg
SA GI.45 WW-II Repro,  modified with new internals, S&A Checkered MSH, USGI Grips, USGI Slide Stop, Kahr/AO USGI Style Stub Thumb Safety.

If this doesn;t satisfy your "GI-45" needs, try the real thing for 3 times the cost!  

+1!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ive been looking into these, I want the "original" look and these keep popping up on internet searches, so if anyone has one, how are they???

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want the original, buy a WWII era Colt, Ithaca or Remington Rand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you want the original, buy a WWII era Colt, Ithaca or Remington Rand.

+1 there is so much truth to this statement...  

Not to continue to rail on that hopeless assemblage of poorly cast and improperly machined out of spec parts, but they don't even really look like a WWII issue 1911.  Most notably, the ejection port has been lowered to impart to the owner the mistaken belief the firearm may in fact be more reliable.  However, this added machining is rather just a marketing ploy to impart that belief and does not aid in reliable ejection.  Additionally, the one I had and most I have seen come with the later style thumb safety as opposed to the WWII style.  Once you replace the factory part with an original GI part, the remaining parts in the gun will realize exactly how inferior they are and promptly give up the ghost and break within 200 rounds out of sheer shame of being installed in a firearm.  When its all said and done you'll wind up having more in the gun than any reasonable human being should have invested in it and when you make the horrible mistake of adding up exactly how much you spent to fix it and make it look close to correct, you'll realize that for what you've spent you probably could have snagged a USGI gun.  But, add insult to injury that once you take your now almost working Auto Ordnance to a show to try to parlay your boondoggle off on someone else for a few bucks to save you from the cloak of shame in which you have become entangled, your blood pressure will hit an all time high when someone tells you that the USGI parts you've installed in the gun have now made it "less valuable" because the gun is "no longer factory."  

So, long story short, if you're looking for the original, save your pennies and get the original because its A) a good investment and B) it will save you the hassle.  Both of my USGI 1911s were had for WELL below market price because both fell into my lap as very good deals.  The deals turn up, not often, but they do...

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok guys, i wasnt really meaning an "original" but rather the original "look" but either way, ill stay away from AO.  If i find a original ill jump on it, until then ill keep dreaming......
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Once you replace the factory part with an original GI part, the remaining parts in the gun will realize exactly how inferior they are and promptly give up the ghost and break within 200 rounds out of sheer shame of being installed in a firearm.

Funniest thing I've read all day!

My CSM carried a Singer when I was in.  I carried a Remington Rand.  Back then, I never even knew how much that Singer would have been worth, but it belonged to Uncle Sam anyway.  By now, it's probably been destroyed so that it wouldn't be "on the street."  

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:  When its all said and done you'll wind up having more in the gun than any reasonable human being should have invested in it and when you make the horrible mistake of adding up exactly how much you spent to fix it and make it look close to correct, you'll realize that for what you've spent you probably could have snagged a USGI gun.  But, add insult to injury that once you take your now almost working Auto Ordnance to a show to try to parlay your boondoggle off on someone else for a few bucks to save you from the cloak of shame in which you have become entangled, your blood pressure will hit an all time high when someone tells you that the USGI parts you've installed in the gun have now made it "less valuable" because the gun is "no longer factory."    

I learned my lesson EXACTLY the way lithgow303 so eloquently described.  I put almost $2000 worth of parts and 'smithing fees into my Thompson A/O....and I wound up with a polished turd that still wouldn't run.    Avoid A/O at all costs....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top