Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:21:44 AM EDT
I thought some of you might find this interesting. . .

http://users.htcomp.net/tbelding/img/trojan.jpg

STI Trojan 6.0 produced from the factory in 45 Super, and further customized by me.

When I first got this gun it was highly unreliable.  Also, the recoil spring was so stiff, I had a very hard time cycling the slide by the "slingshot" method.  I sent it back to STI and they worked on it, and worked on it, and I thought I'd never get it back from them.  Finally after replacing the barrel, replacing the recoil spring with a lighter one, and doing untold amounts of other work on it, they got it back to me.  I suspect you couldn't pay them enough to build another 45 Super.  After all was said and done, it's now reliable when given the right magazines (Wilson 7-rd) and ammo (avoiding large hollow points).

After getting it to function the way I wanted, I had a few further customizations done:

-- installed Aftec extractor
-- replaced extended thumb safety with standard safety
-- replaced standard slide release with extended release
-- replaced "slim" grips, screws and bushings with Hogue grips and hex screws
-- replaced flat mainspring housing with arched plastic housing
-- had gun refinished with Duracoat in black and snow gray

I'm pretty happy with how it came out.  It works with regular 45 ACP hardball ammo, but ejection is kind of weak.  It loves +P ammo!  As for the rounds pictured in the photo. . .   That is a 45 Super handload with the 250-grain Rainier Leadsafe bullet, muzzle velocity 960 ft/sec.  It works very smoothly in the Trojan and pretty closely duplicates the ballistics of the original black gunpowder USGI 45 Colt load from 1873.  I like to think of it as my semi-auto Peacemaker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top