Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:42:18 AM EDT
Hello Guys,
Im sure this comes up alot but I need some help deciding on my first 1911. I have always loved the 1911 and finally want to get 1 (my 4 HK's are lonely ) I am looking for the BEST gun (reliability,finish, ect) out of the box for under $1100. So far I have been leaning towords the Kimber TLE/RL II due to word of mouth and recomendations from friends. I appreciate any feedback. Thank You
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#3]
mmmm Kimber.............Warnning this is how it starts................Good luck....................
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hello Guys,
Im sure this comes up alot but I need some help deciding on my first 1911. I have always loved the 1911 and finally want to get 1 (my 4 HK's are lonely ) I am looking for the BEST gun (reliability,finish, ect) out of the box for under $1100. So far I have been leaning towords the Kimber TLE/RL II due to word of mouth and recomendations from friends. I appreciate any feedback. Thank You

Having been one of the people burned by Kimber's "improved" tactical external extractor, I would steer you away from one of those guns.  If you do go with a Kimber, make sure it's got the internal extractor.  Yeah, some poeple have had no issues with the new extractors and Kimber will more than likely take care of any warranty issues.  But who wants to buy a gun that might have reliability issues rigth off the bat?  For $1,100 there really should not be much left to chance.

+1 for the Yost 1*

Another option might be to buy a Springfield GI model and have Springfield's Custom Shop turn it into what you want.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Yost, some of the Springfields, and a used Les Baer TRS are all very good deals.  Save up a few more dollars.  Be sure to get a lot of Wilson or Novak magazines.  CMC/Shooting Star seem to work well too, and are disposable, considering the price.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't the springfields have Cast frames?

You can get a Colt 1911 for $1100 if you look around.  If you have never owned a 1911, you should own a least one original.

SAW has some nice brand new Colt series 70 1911s for $895, as well as Gold Cups and Defender models.

That's where I would be looking for my first 1911.

Just my 2$ worth.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

NO

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#8]
No offense, but $1100 for your first 1911 is a bit much.  I think a lot of people make the mistake of buying the best gun they can find and their skills really aren't at the same level as their gun.  My reccomendation would be get a cheaper 1911 to see if you even like the platform.  An excellent value is the Springfield Loaded Parkerized.  It may not be pretty, but it's got a lot of good features.  Build your skills with that and then as you progress, you can get the more expensive TRP's or Yosts and then you will really see benefits.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO

Must be the RIAs I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No offense, but $1100 for your first 1911 is a bit much.  I think a lot of people make the mistake of buying the best gun they can find and their skills really aren't at the same level as their gun.  My reccomendation would be get a cheaper 1911 to see if you even like the platform.  An excellent value is the Springfield Loaded Parkerized.  It may not be pretty, but it's got a lot of good features.  Build your skills with that and then as you progress, you can get the more expensive TRP's or Yosts and then you will really see benefits.  MJD

Thanks for the help guys! I think I am going to follow highwayman and start off with something cheaper to get the feel for the gun and learn how to really shoot. Plus it then gives me an excuse to buy yet another 1 .
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top