Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 5:24:48 PM EDT
I see Smith & Wesson makes a few 1911s with Scandium (that lightweight material they use in their revolvers). What do y'all think of them? Pleasant to shoot? Well-built? Accurate?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet but I have a few friends with them and I've fondled them.  The weight is very nice, great for a carry pistol.  The fit and finish seem to be very good with the exception of a warning on the left side of the frame.  The only complaint I had with the pistol was that the muzzle crown looked terrible on both but my friends tell me they shoot great and are very accurate so I guess it's not much of a concern.  All in all I'd like to have one.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot a 1911PD today, my Glocks are going on the EE to fund the purchase of one  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
love mine!

fit and finish is GREAT--better than my kimber and SAs

locks up nice and tight, recoil on this one is a little more noticible, but still very managable
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I shot a 1911PD today, my Glocks are going on the EE to fund the purchase of one  

Outstanding!

I have shyed away from S&W because they have an external extractor and I'm funny that way. But scandium? Thats a gimmick that will cause me to look one up.

ETA: And they are a commander length too? WOOT!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have the exact info at my fingertips. . .   But if I recall right, it's actually an aluminum alloy that includes a small amount of scandium -- less than 1 percent, I read somewhere.  It does make the alloy tougher.  Point being that it's the same weight as any other alloy-framed 1911, just stronger.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't have the exact info at my fingertips. . .   But if I recall right, it's actually an aluminum alloy that includes a small amount of scandium -- less than 1 percent, I read somewhere.  It does make the alloy tougher.  Point being that it's the same weight as any other alloy-framed 1911, just stronger.

Ummm, the only thing I can comment on , is that the 1911PD weighs as much as my (soon to be ex) G36.
So I am pretty sure whatever the composistion is, it is lighter than most 1911s I have fondeld/ shot
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two pds, one full size, one Commander sized. Pleasant to shoot, well built, accurate, pretty much sum them up. The best 1911s being made right now for the price.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one of the first generation 1911sc.  It is the commander size with the big ol lazer etched side.  Have to admit the etching is not my cup of te.  That is the only nit I have to pick.  I had trituim sights installed and right out of the box it was a shooter.  The actual weight is one oz. heaver then my pony lt wt commander.  Felt recoil is a bit more then I was expecting, but it was not unmanagble in any way.  I did do a bit of trigger work to it.  I have to give cudos to smith for this pistol.  It is a very good example of just how well a 1911 can be done.  Get one and you will not regret the purchase.

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 4.25 inch S&W 1911 PD , scandium frame and love it, feeds flawlessly all types ammo so far and is accurate enough formy skill level
I am a very happy enthusiastic owner.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I shot the commander sized Gunsite model last week and liked it enough to buy one.  I've talked to several others who own one and none have reported any problems. One person replaced the sights with Novak night sights, and several have changed the grips, but they all like the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had a 1911SC for about 6 months. A few feed issues that were worked out with new mags. The only complaint I have about it is the muzzle crown. It looks like some used a pipe cutter to cut the barrel. However, this has no effect on how good it shoots.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I found that with my SW 1911 Sc, the gun would not eject a case without a magazine in place.  It looks to me like the ejector sits too high in the breechface and/or the extractor is a little too thin for the diameter of the .45 case.  Anybody else notice this?  Maybe it's a non-issue but a 1911 with a properly tuned conventional extractor will eject with or without a magazine in the gun.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That is true.

But that small amount of Scandium adds a HUGE amount of strength:     I have a S&W Model 340 PD with a Scandium CYLINDER. Effectively it alone contains the pressure of the hottest .357 Magnum ammo I can find w/ no wear (it is, unfortunately, the very most unpleasant revolver to shoot with .357 that I have ever tried).

On the plus side, it weighs only 9 Oz. and for my fellow runners out there, I can reccommend this gun as an excellent jogging partner; it disappears into a pocket holster easily but its always at the ready.

I think .357 Magnum is an effective defensive cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Oddly enough I was just looking at those today at a gunshop.

IMO, they are good looking guns. I have never fondled one, but they sure do look nice.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had the chance to shoot several S&W 1911s. I was skeptical at first but am now a believer.
As someone who owns or has shot/examined MANY 1911s I am very pleasantlly surprised at the S&W 1911s. IMHO as time goes on these pistols will prove themselves, especially for the cost. You can call me on this in the future.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#17]
love 'em....

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#18]
That's an understatement. Does the 340 PD cut your 1\4 mile times on the CBR?

If S&W would only cone out with an officer sized pistol I'd be all set.

Quoted:

I think .357 Magnum is an effective defensive cartridge.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I am now in the market for a 1911sc in commander length, Thanks a lot roboman! I'm tryng to figure out my best option for getting night sights installed.

In looking at the S&W site, I noticed the PD has a medium frame and the SC has a small frame. Whats up with the small, medium and large frame options?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#20]
The PD and SC full size and Commander both have the same frames.  The only difference is the slide and barrel lengths.  There is no Officer's frame 1911 available from S&W.

As for night sights, the only options available that I'm aware of are:

- Send the gun to Novak's to let them install (Around $180 turnaround)
- Buy and install night sights for the S&W 59xx series pistols (Meprolight makes them) (Around $75-85 plus installation).

I did my own since I have a sight pusher.  Meprolights are my favorite night sights.

You can see them in this picture of my new 1911 PD Tactical Rail from S&W:

http://www.lenaburgs.net/images/SmithWesson/SW1911PDTR_8s.jpg

My Commander size Sc that I carry:

http://www.lenaburgs.net/images/SmithWesson/1911Sc_2nd640.jpg

Regards,
James
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree with IndianaDean.  These are the best deal out there for a Commander style 1911.   I did a lot of research before I bought mine and like the others before me have stated, the scandium is actually a very small percentage of the alloy used.  I guess it is very expensive stuff!  Anyway, it causes the grain of the aluminum alloy to align much like forged steel thus in theory making it much stronger, or so the articles I have read on the subject say.  I wish it had tritium sights and dont care for the grooves instead of checkering on the frontstrap, but otherwise it is awesome!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#22]
The only thing that held me back from purchasing the intial run of 1911SC's was the huge logo on the side.  However, when the 1911PD hit the shelves I went for it right away ;)

And yes, it rocks.  There are tons of threads about this pistol lol!  It's the new 1911 phenomenon!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#23]
4 1/4" S&W 1911PD is the best pistol I've ever messed with - I'm considering buying a second just because.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The only thing that held me back from purchasing the intial run of 1911SC's was the huge logo on the side.  However, when the 1911PD hit the shelves I went for it right away ;)

And yes, it rocks.  There are tons of threads about this pistol lol!  It's the new 1911 phenomenon!

It took me a couple days to find a NIB old stock 1911SC that had the large lettering! I can't wait for it to show up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It took me a couple days to find a NIB old stock 1911SC that had the large lettering! I can't wait for it to show up.

hahaha well different strokes, different folks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top