Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 4:53:36 PM EDT
Well I bought a new Kimber TLE/RL II today. I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but I'm sure I will love it. I'm sure I'll have lots of Qs for everyone sooner or later since I'm new to the 1911 community. I hear it's best to shoot Wilson Combat mags. Is that true? Where's the best place to get them?

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well I bought a new Kimber TLE/RL II today. I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but I'm sure I will love it. I'm sure I'll have lots of Qs for everyone sooner or later since I'm new to the 1911 community. I hear it's best to shoot Wilson Combat mags. Is that true? Where's the best place to get them?

Wilson makes a great mag.  I'm not sure the best place to buy them.  As far as I know, I'm the only guy on here who really prefers Chip McCormick powermags.  But then, I have an advantage.  I can just pop over to his shop on Manchaca and get my problems fixed.  Not that I've had any, but if I ever do, I know what to do!

Kimber makes a good gun - I know she'll give you years of enjoyment!

Welcome to 1911 sickness.  Leave your credit cards at the door.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks kk7sm. I did some searching around here and it looks like WC 47Ds are the way to go. I went ahead and ordered a couple directly from WC. I didn't know if anyone else had them cheaper. Yes, the sickness has already started. I hope it doesn't get as bad as my AR sickness.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Wilson makes a great mag.  I'm not sure the best place to buy them.  As far as I know, I'm the only guy on here who really prefers Chip McCormick powermags.  But then, I have an advantage.  I can just pop over to his shop on Manchaca and get my problems fixed.  Not that I've had any, but if I ever do, I know what to do!

Nope, you're not the only one....

Woody
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet pistol!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice Kimber . Please give us a range report after you shoot it. Chek ebay for the best price on Wilson Combat mags.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice Kimber. Check the EE, I have found them for as low as $21.00 for the 47Ds
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I will definitely post a range report once I actually get a chance to shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Great looking Kimber.
Now that you have ordered from Wilson, you will probabally be getting E-Mails on specials they have.  Once they offered buy 5 #47-D mags and get 1 free+ free shipping.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the same .45 only without the rail and it has the external extractor.  It's far more accurate than I ever hoped for, and hasn't hiccuped once.

I use the Chip McCormick Power Mags and they've been flawless.

Nice gun!!

HH
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]

NICE--internal extractor and light rail!

WC 47Ds imo are just about the most consistant, reliable mags out there

check out midway USA, kblagg in the EE, and a couple of other folks in the industry board--they got em  in stock for good prices

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. I just got my 47Ds in today. Now, which ammo does everyone prefer or recommend? I usually just shoot ball American Eagle, Federal, or UMC through my other .45s at the range. Is that okay or is there a better ammo out there?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
range ammo or carry ammo?

range: i have best consistancy and availability w/ WWB; have tried eagle, CCI blazers, wolf, S&B, and umc--no problems except for some failure to lock backs w/ the wolf

carry: i carry Win Ranger 230gr JHPs; i use to carry Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHPs, but i had some feeding problems w/ CMC mags in my SA champion
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
range ammo or carry ammo?

Primarily range ammo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL!

I mostly shoot 230 gr ball in mixed brass with 4.0 gr of VV N310 and WLP primers.  

Winchester White Box has been very consistent for me in factory ammo.  It's relatively cheap at Wally World.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Wolf... Let the flame fest begin!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Sweet, a seres II with an IE.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sweet, a seres II with an IE.

It appears Kimber is going back to internal extractors on a lot of their new production.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
i've had a kimber tle/rl II for a couple years and have used a variety of magazines (kimber, wilson, colt, springfield) throughout. i've fired over 4000 rounds through it, in rain, mud, and sand, sometimes with rather poor cleaning habits, and still have not had one malfunction. in addition, the accuracy far exceeds my ability. it is a great weapon, with a beautiful trigger. hope you love yours!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, you're not the only one....

Woody

There are more of us than you think....

ETA: That is a nice pistol Sharpshot.  Do the Kimber Series II have firing pin safeties?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wolf... Let the flame fest begin!

Hey, me too!

Travis
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i've had a kimber tle/rl II for a couple years and have used a variety of magazines (kimber, wilson, colt, springfield) throughout. i've fired over 4000 rounds through it, in rain, mud, and sand, sometimes with rather poor cleaning habits, and still have not had one malfunction. in addition, the accuracy far exceeds my ability. it is a great weapon, with a beautiful trigger. hope you love yours!!!

I've probably put about 150-200 rds through it already and I've fallen in love with it. It too has exceeded my expections. It's so smooth and deadly accurate. It easily outshoots my HK USP45. BTW I shot American Eagle and Rem UMC through it. Both worked flawlessly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top