Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 3:54:50 AM EDT
Hey all,
As many of you know, I've been planning (at least in my head) a 10mm build up for quite some time. In fact y'all prolly wish I'd shut up by now, but I digress.

When it comes to barrels, I've been told that the 10mm brass is very strong and if I'll be shooting factory loads, a ramped barrel really isn't necessary. Now when people say "factory" ammo, does that also include the "hotter" stuff like Double Tap, Power Ball, etc? I don't reload (yet) and when I do, I'm not looking to replicate some super hot .41 mag.

Since this could save me quite a few bucks, do y'all think a ramped bbl is worth the extra money if I'm not going to shoot hot reloads?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you can get by without a ramped barrel. The ramp would do nothing to allow you to shoot hotter loads in your gun. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot the hotter factory stuff all day long through my Deltas, and none have a ramped barrel.  I see no bulging of the cases whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
wooohoooo!

Cool.  Thanks guys.

Also, how is the quality of the factory Colt Delta bbls (generally speaking)?

Rich
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I've owned 5 factory Deltas.  Only one had a reasonably tight bushing from the factory.  All 5 were sub 2.5" @ 25yards for 6 rounds.  That in my book is pretty good accuracy, especially considering all I did with these guns was shoot prone using my shooting bag for a rest.  I would expect even more accuracy if I actually tried, as in shooting from a real rest with proper targets.  I realize it's only 5 guns, but they were all factory barrels, and two of those guns were pretty loose.  

Looking at the barrels, they don't look particularly well made.  The crowns seem pretty lame, so I'm going to assume 10mm is just an accurate round, or I've been lucky.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Bar Sto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top