Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 11:40:44 AM EDT
UPDATE #2: pistol returned see last post.

UPDATE #1: almost right after I got the email from UPS that it had been delivered, a custom shop tech called me to make sure what was wrong with it, adn the modifications I wanted, etc.  So Far So VERY Good.

couldn't get the slide off my kimber for dissasembly.  so I mallet it off.  THEN i remembered about the grip safety activating the firing pin safety, and yeah of course I was holding teh grip safety in while trying to get slide off.  Well, the firing pin safety detent is dented, the front sight  doesn't glow, both from the malleting of yours truly, world's biggest dumbass who can't own more than one kind of 1911 without screwing one up while cleaning them all.

email to Kimber answered by 'Dennis' at the custom shop.  called me up, told him the story, he said 'you made a mistake, mistakes happen just send 35$ for the shipping with the gun and we'll make her good as new.'

My first experience with them, so far so good.

I also asked about a trigger job and he said they could do it while they had it cause they'll fix it in teh custom shop anyway.  I should just include fundsd for whatever service I want.

Sweet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
+1

I had thier .22 conversion and it seemed to bind and wouldn't eject the spent cases.  Called they said send it in.  The turn around was less then a week.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm debating on a Para or Kimber as my next 1911. You just helped make my decision a little easier
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]
A mallet????  WTF????  Are you sure you are going to be a responsible Kimber owner when you get it back???   I wonder if Kimber will put a "NO MALLET" warning on the gun...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A mallet????  WTF????  Are you sure you are going to be a responsible Kimber owner when you get it back???   I wonder if Kimber will put a "NO MALLET" warning on the gun...

I promised to use it on my head from now on.  problem is the mallet is SO useful as a gun tool for beating teh crap outta stuff without marking the stuff up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
updated first post
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#6]
the=THE not teh
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I promised to use it on my head from now on.  problem is the mallet is SO useful as a gun tool for beating teh crap outta stuff without marking the stuff up.

Percussive maintenance is fun!  

Thanks for letting us know about the Kimber service.  That's good news, and good luck with her when she comes back from the hospital.  

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW.  pistol is back in my hands.  they fixed everything I broke and custom shop installed a short trigger for me:

I got it about five seconds ago, running to range now to make sure everything is in working order will report back!

Needless to say Kimber has OUTDONE itself here.

This repair had NOTHING to do with a manufacturing defect, and should not have been covered by any warranty, written or implied.

I was dealt with graciously and amiably and in a timely fashion.

I've been thinking of going with a cheaper 1911 for my full size, but my decision is now obvious... saving up for the Kimber.

Total Time from when I dropped it off at UPS was less than a week till its back in my hands.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
How much for the trigger job?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad everything worked out so good.  It looks great and I also like the short triggers better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How much for the trigger job?

69$ IIRC.  I couldn't be happier.  As I wrote elsewhere, for target work, it's not the greatest as the pull is the same weight but shorter, but for the quick 'practical' work, I noticed a HUGE difference.  You know when I sit down witha bench rest I have time to extend my short finger and get a nice pull from a standard trigger, but standing, unholstering adn just baaaarely getting that front sight on target and instinctively pulling trigger, this makes MOUNTAINS of difference.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Really nice looking pistol.

What model is that Chapper?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, chapperjoe, for the great news about Kimber!

It's reassuring to see a gun company go above and beyond.  I'll feel good about buying from Kimber in the future.

Beautiful pistol, by the way!

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a Stainless Pro TLE/RL II with VZ grips.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Looks like a Stainless Pro TLE/RL II with VZ grips.

yup.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#16]
btw, function, accuracy, was all perfect at range.  

Glad to have my 45 back at my side, I'd been using a 38 snubbie with her gone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top