Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 5:25:11 PM EDT
which one get's your hand deeper into the frame? I have tried guns with the wilson's but not the "best selling one"...thoughts
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The Brown is considerably "deeper", but also requires a lot more contouring, and refinishing of the frame.  When you cut a frame for a Wilson, you really don't even have to contour the bottom of the frame tangs most of the time.  With an Ed Brown, you need to do quite a bit of contouring.  

Here is a Wilson on a Colt frame with absolutely no cotouring or blending of the bottom of the tangs of the radius of the grip frame where it meets the web of the hand:

In this picture of an Ed Brown, you can see how much has to be cut, not only from the bottom of the tangs, but also the curved part of the frame radius where the web of the hand would make contact:

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
On a totally subjective level, I much prefer the "feel" of the Brown safety and how it fits MY hand.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, but those Wilson's look pretty darned nice....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used and like both..you really cannot go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Both are vey nice, but the Ed Brown is slimmer in the tang area.  I have an Ed Brown on my TLEII and like it a lot.  I am also getting parts for a G.I. build and will be using a Wilson on it.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's an oversized shot of the Ed Brown on the parked pistol, the Wilson on a stainless.

The Wilson is a semi drop in unit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#8]
this is perfect thanx...

Quoted:
The Brown is considerably "deeper", but also requires a lot more contouring, and refinishing of the frame.  When you cut a frame for a Wilson, you really don't even have to contour the bottom of the frame tangs most of the time.  With an Ed Brown, you need to do quite a bit of contouring.  

Here is a Wilson on a Colt frame with absolutely no cotouring or blending of the bottom of the tangs of the radius of the grip frame where it meets the web of the hand:

img156.imageshack.us/img156/8333/gunpics0337kt.jpg

In this picture of an Ed Brown, you can see how much has to be cut, not only from the bottom of the tangs, but also the curved part of the frame radius where the web of the hand would make contact:

img212.imageshack.us/img212/9938/gunpics24333yl.jpg

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
nice set up...seems like there is some work to be done ...it's good to see a pre modified one..altho which grip safety is that?

Quoted:
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/UCgripsCombined.jpg

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#10]
so the basics are:

wilson's: easier to install less fitting required, great feel

Ed Brown : if you like the wilson's, and would like a deeper recess for your hand, got you covered, but there is more cutting/ fitting required ( dont be scared)

both are nice..did I miss anything...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top