Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 8:33:46 AM EDT
Smith is going to supply and install a KART barrel on my springfield. Will they have to refit a new barrel bushing and link or do I have to mention that?

newb question, still learning. The springfield has the standard SA 5inch barrel in it right now with a WILSON bushing, and I assume a SA link

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I would use your question as a test to determine whether the 'smith knows what he is doing. But, yes a new barrel should have both a link and bushing fitted. Also, the barrel bottom lug and the barrel hood should be properly fitted. Use his answers to determine his level of knowledge and skill. Good luck.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Charles,

thanks for the advice. I overnighted my pistol to Virgil Tripp, and it got there right before they closed on Friday afternoon. So I doubt they had a chance to get into my directions.

I'll call tomorrow to ask him if I need to send him anything else....i have a feeling he has them on site though :)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#3]
My first thought was the same as Charles'.  Now that you mentioned it went to Tripp, I'm sure part of the price will be a new bushing and link.  If you're lucky, you'll get an actual Kart bushing.  Not that it's any better, but you never see those.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#4]
got ya...

So when you buy a new barrel, links and bushings are sep? Interesting..

I agree though, it'd be nice to keep things standardized
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what barrel.  Bar-Sto and Wilson come with bushings.  Bar-Sto even has a link.  Some of the others do too. Kart does not, but I always get them from Brownells.  A gunsmith friend of mine gets them from Kart.  He's been around a long time.  He gets them with a bushing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Kart makes and easy fit barrel that is not that hard.  though it takes me longer then one hour stated to install.  The barrel comes with a Kart bushing that is already fitted to the barrel.  All that is needed os to reduce the od to fit slide.  The barrel itself is actually not that hard to install.  It just takes a lot of time and patience when fitting it.  there is even a handy dandy kit that Kart sells to fit up the barrel.  Yes, the bushing is a Kart.  No lug cutting involved with the fitment.  Very good accuracy and yes there is even a link.

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Kart makes and easy fit barrel that is not that hard.  though it takes me longer then one hour stated to install.  The barrel comes with a Kart bushing that is already fitted to the barrel.  All that is needed os to reduce the od to fit slide.  The barrel itself is actually not that hard to install.  It just takes a lot of time and patience when fitting it.  there is even a handy dandy kit that Kart sells to fit up the barrel.  Yes, the bushing is a Kart.  No lug cutting involved with the fitment.  Very good accuracy and yes there is even a link.

Jon

thanks bud...i'll call virgil tomorrow to see what he has..

depending..you have any extra links/bushings?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry I do not have any extra links or bushings.  I buy them on an as needed bassis.  The only bushing I had was from a colt 1991 that I installed a new bushing on.  It was not in very good shape so I used it to practice some file and stone work on.  Then I tossed it.  Sorry.

Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top