Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 4:51:59 PM EDT
I've stated before that I really don't have a huge problem with MIM in most parts.  I don't like MIM hammers, slide stops, sears, and extractors.  Other than that, I don't care too much.

Many have posted their experiences with MIM breakages.  I noticed the other day that a Kimebr I dry fire a lot had a cracked firing pin stop.  Of course, it was cracked on the lower left at about the 7 o'clock portion of the FP hole, right in the corner.  This is where they crack 99% of the time.

I looked at all my other guns with MIM stops.  They are all cracked.  This particular Kimber has an Ed Brown FP stop for it, but I wanted to see how long it would go before I cracked it.  It's been about 2 years of moderate shooting and constant daily dry firing.  Also, I've done the same amount with a Colt and a Springfield.  The Springfield is cracked, the Colt is fine.

This is just an observation, and in no way a slam.  I'm going to keep on shooting the Springer with the cracked one to see how long it goes before cracking all the way through and failing.  I only posted this because I was thinking of all the 1911s I've owned, which is a lot, I've only cracked FP stops on Kimbers and Springfields.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Recently replaced the MIM FP Stop on my Springfield GI.45 Repro for what I thought was no real reason other than a prejudice against Mim Parts. Bought a Colt stop from Brownells. It's served me while for several months with no sign of cracking or distorting.

After reading your post, it confirms I made the right decision for just a few bucks BEFORE it disabled my gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
My first Springfield, the one they'll bury me with, took about 3 years to break the FP stop.  That was a lot of IPSC matches and practice, and LOTS of dry firing.  Plus, after the first year, I took the top 1/8" or so off so it would work with a set of Heinie slant pro sights.  

I'm not sure exactly when it originally cracked, but one day I took the slide apart to clean it and noticed a huge chip in it at 9:00.  The crack ran out from the center at 9:00 then turned and went to the edge at 11:00.  It was a MIM part and that's probably why it failed, but it also saw a lot of use.

Not a MIM fan, but I don't run home and replace every MIM part right away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top