Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 7:15:11 PM EDT
Is it possible for a mechanical failure to occur that would result in the hammer being dropped? Like a broken part or something. Simple yes or no will do, but explanations appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, an example would be the hammer hooks and sear interface failure due to wear or improper stoning/polishing. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but not likely.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a BHP that I've seen the hammer follow the slide three times. It get caught by the half cock notch but that's no excuse. I suspect a worn sear but won't know until I tear it down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a worn out firing pin spring and if you have very soft primers and if you dropped the gun directly on its muzzle on a very hard surface from the top or a building, it might have enough inertia to dent the primer enough to fire the gun.  

I really can't imagine another type of failure that could happen.  Even a hit to the back of the hammer would have to break two sear hooks plus the "half cock" notches before that would allow the hammer to hit the FP.  

Firing pin sfeties are pretty useless on a 1911.  I don't know why manufacturers insist upon putting them on new guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure,

Hammer following the slide down and bang. Doesn't have to be a broken part, just not "adjusted" properly. Seen it done and read about it more than several times.

Not common with a properly/fitted gun however.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sure,

Hammer following the slide down and bang. Doesn't have to be a broken part, just not "adjusted" properly. Seen it done and read about it more than several times.

Not common with a properly/fitted gun however.

Hmmm... well the Kimber style FPS wouldn't stop that unless you dropped the gun to release the grip safety and therefore, the FPS.  On a Colt or Sig, you would likely still get a double, but could prevent a mag dump by releasing the trigger.  I hadn't considered that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top