Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 2:20:53 PM EDT
Is it possible to trim down an over powered recoil spring to make it less powerful and easier to manage?

Any tips for doing this?

And as always is this a really retarded idea?

Thanks
PJ
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
A spring of a given weight, say 18 pounds, is an 18 pound spring no matter what length to which it may be cut. It could be a spring to a specified length or a spring of less than specified length. It will still exert the same force on a object. It may be cut too short to function properly and some may percieve this as being 'lighter'. Springs are not high cost items. Buy one that will serve your needs and meet the required specifications. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I guess a little thinking would of saved me from looking retarded.  I was told that this was a way of accomplishing (lightening) this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't look retarded. This is a legitimate question. Clipping coils off of springs is an old time coffee gunsmith way to 'improve' a gun. It really doesn't work very well. Charles.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top