Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 7:15:14 PM EDT
NOTE: This is not a FOR SALE Advertisement. I would like to determine a fair sale price for a Colt Officers Model that I have. It has been melted by Clarks Custom and has numerous other features. It is a hell of a pistol, some have probably seen pictures over the years. It is also used....I have carried and shot it for years. It is not "safe queen" condition (I can fully explain). The exterior will be re-blasted to remove holster wear, if I decide to sell. I have had it done once before and it comes back with a flawless exterior.

I have looked on gunbroker and there is such a spread in pricing. I have looked at Clarks website and only see services (used to sell melted guns as a total package). I am wondering if I should post on a couple of the boards I view and/or put on consignment in a local shop (I have a couple of good ones in the area).

I can post pics and a list of everything that I have had done, but I dont know wher ethe best place is to do it (let me know if it is here).

Thanks in advance. BG

List:

I am the original owner and it was purchased in early 90's. It has a full length Ed Brown guide rod, Ed Brown reverse plug, Chip McCormick hammer and sear (both matched) and tuned trigger. I think it breaks at 3.5 - 4 pounds and I think it is smooth. It has Novak green bar/dot night sights. Ed Brown grip safety (this was the first thing I had done to it). The following was performed by clarks: Beveled magazine well, hand stippled front and back strap, Kings ambi safety, throated and polished barrel, opened and flared ej. port and aggressive meltdown. Factgory 6 round magazine. I have the original box and manual. The box is in rough shape. It was in rough shape when I purchased it and the pistol was shipped in it and has been handled quite a bit by all parties.

The finish is 100% bead blasted and you could sleep with it naked (I haven't, but it is that smooth). It does have wear marks at the front of the slide. I sent it off to Clarks about four years ago to have the finish blasted again ($25) and it come back looking like new. I carry it in a LH Alessi MOB or a Safariland LH 5181 open top paddle. I have the following for it: Black Hogue rubber grips, and the Slimline cocobolo one's. I will have to dig to see where I purchased the slimlines. I also have the original grip safety, recoil plug, bushings and screws, etc.

This pistol has been carried and shot. I havent kept count of the rounds, but it is probably around 800-1000.

Other then the carry wear on the slide and sights (rubbed finish areas on edges), the only other issue I have noticed is the following: (I will try to discribe and I will include a pic or the area I am talking about). The Chip McCormick hammer is rounded on the edges (came this way and was not part of the melt). When the slide moves towards the rear (thus recocking the hammer), the hammer has flared out the recessed area for the series 80 plunger. It has not interfeared with the operation of the pistol. See the pic of this area.

OK Pics:

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, this is a good place to post it.  Pics and a list of work would make it pretty easy to judge.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to see some pics. I like action pics too!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
$87 MO ready to send out
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The Meltdown could be  a plus or minus - depending on the buyer.
A good solid Colt  has to be worth $500 +

EDIT: Since you posted pics , and detailed all the extras ,
                   I would up the Lowball price to $750  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's worth more than $500, but that's just my opinion.  IM inbound.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
$500.00
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure about the price but It looks good.  I'll send you 500.00 anytime.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
$900 - $950 IMHO

That's about what I was thinking for a real world transaction price.  He could get lucky though and bump that up another few hundred if he runs into the right buyer.  

That's a nice package.  With what you've done, I'm not sure why you would want to sell it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Retail for a Stainless Officers model was $680 in 1991!

Looks like you added a few things to it and it looks very nice!

By the way, is the battery included???
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The battery is not included, however since it is slightly used I would be willing to part for $ 0.23.

I have recently been bit by the full size bug and am looking a something like a DW 1911. However, I really dont thinkl that I will ba able to part with this gun. It is almost perfect (in my eyes).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Why don’t you just call Rene or Jim Clark at 318.949.9884 and ask them? I'm guessing it's an $800 conversion on TOP of the price of the gun. Clark's used to have a policy to buy back their guns for the price of the conversion… don’t know if they still do that or not.

I've owned 2 meltdowns, and they are currently behind about 4-6 months to fill orders in the $1400 price range.

Their head 1911 machinist is one of my best friends from growing up. He came up with the idea truing to smooth an over-sized Schuman comp barrel into a stainless officers. I've got pics of the ORIGINAL Clark meltdown from 16 years ago if anybody wants me to post it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top