Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 9:55:32 AM EDT
I stopped by a pawn shop last week and found a blue, Colt 70 series, 1911.  Some of the finish was worn near the front of the slide like it had been in and out of a holster a good bit.  It has relatively small sights and one 7 round magazine.  While examining the gun, I found it to be in need of a thorough cleaning.  The slide was sluggish going into battery and with the slide locked back, some rust was visible inside the mag well.  I've been in the market for a 1911 for awhile and I'm not hung up on one brand over another.  They were asking $460 for this gun.  I just don't want to buy an unreliable gun.  What are the chances that it would prove to be  reliable after a good cleaning?  Also, the front sight is not in a dovetail.  How much trouble/expense would it be to change the front (and rear) sights to some that are more visible?  Any help will be appreciated.  Also, the shop may be willing to negotiate on the price.  What would be a good offer?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I stopped by a pawn shop last week and found a blue, Colt 70 series, 1911.  Some of the finish was worn near the front of the slide like it had been in and out of a holster a good bit.  It has relatively small sights and one 7 round magazine.  While examining the gun, I found it to be in need of a thorough cleaning.  The slide was sluggish going into battery and with the slide locked back, some rust was visible inside the mag well.  I've been in the market for a 1911 for awhile and I'm not hung up on one brand over another.  They were asking $485 for this gun.  I just don't want to buy an unreliable gun.  What are the chances that it would prove to be  reliable after a good cleaning?  Also, the front sight is not in a dovetail.  How much trouble/expense would it be to change the front (and rear) sights to some that are more visible?  Any help will be appreciated.  Also, the shop may be willing to negotiate on the price.  What would be a good offer?

link for site that gives a couple of places to make sure to check a 1911.  

as for the sights, you can get a gunsmith to make the cuts from anywhere from $85ish or upwards, that's not a problem.  I'll let others more knowledgeable than I give more detailed advice.  There was another pretty good write up here as well
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you're probably going to need a new recoil spring as well.  No big deal there.  The staked sights are the big issue to me.  Since there's no dovetail you'll have to send that slide to a 'smith or someone that can machine them into the slide.  New sights are going to cost you at least $80 for the sights and then a substantial charge to machine dovetails.  For only a few dollars more you can get a Springfield 9109L (loaded parkerized) with lo-mount Novak night sights, beavertail, lowered and flared ejection port, and all those other "extra" features.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't need to dovetail ANYTHING. Hell, all a smith has to do is tap out the front site [tenon]and stake a taller one in it. You should buy a SET of front and rear sights so that it will be correct. Buy a new Wolff spring as it will come with a new firing pin spring also. If the gun is in good shape its probably worth the money. Heck, you can sell almost ANY Colt for $450 easily. so if you don't like it you will be able to sell it quickly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a moot point now.  I stopped by the shop to put it on layaway.  It was already sold.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about you, but I have NEVER found a deal at a Pawn shop.  I blame the internet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've bought a few guns at good prices at pawn shops.  That's where I bought my Colt Python and Belgian Browning Hi-Power.  You have to know what something should cost before you shop.  Just because it's in  a pawn shop doesn't mean it can't be cheaper elsewhere.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top