Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 7:08:07 AM EDT
I would like to add a full length guide rod to my Springfield Operator, what would be some good suggestions as to what will fit the best?

cmb
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I would like to add a full length guide rod to my Springfield Operator, what would be some good suggestions as to what will fit the best?

cmb

Why?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not? It is not shooting to potential, and it seems to get very inaccurate after around 60 rounds are through it. I just wanted to see if this would in any way improve the accuracy before I sent it off to a gunsmith or to Springfield.

(when I say it gets inaccurate, this is not offhand, this has been tested through a ransom rest and by multiple shooters)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had many 1911's, some with FLG and some without. I have never seen an accuracy improvement with a FLG....

In fact, the SA 1911 I have now has a FLG and I'm going to be ditching it for a good 'ol plug and spring..
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The FLG isn't going to change the accuracy to any appreciable extent.  If the accuracy degrades only after 60 rounds, there's something else going on that needs attention.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. What would you suggest on the issue? Out of the box it shot incredibly low, I'm not happy, but I can deal with that. But going through a tactical pistol course, I could really tell the difference of how inacurate it had become after a couple of boxes of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Send it back to Springfield....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Shooting low means the front sight is too tall.  This is a common problem with Springers.

I don't know what to tell you about the degrading accuracy.  You're sure it isn't a flinch that creeps in after a box of ammo?  If you're sure of this and you're sure the sights are ot loose, (I'm assuming you checked this) I don't know what it could be.  

Tell us more about the problem.  You mentioned that it looses accuracy after 60 rounds or so.  Does this mean the accuracy returns after cleaning or letting it sit?  Could this be an ammo isse?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Not an ammo issue.

Gun is 4 inches low from sights, this is at 10 yards and up.

It seems that the gun gets hot and get inaccurate. (this has been tested using a ransom rest)

The sights are not loose.

I am thinking of sending it back possibly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Send it back to Springfield....

Mind the Dog send it back.

Dog is good..Dog is wise..
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]
My Operator shot 6-8 inches low at 25yds before I had it taken care of. I really don't understand about 'degrading accuracy' after 60 rounds but just send it back to Springfield..They'll take care of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top