Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 3:58:58 PM EDT
my roommate got a Springfield GI hicap and wants to change the grips. he wants hogue wrap around grips. will a paraord p14 hogue wrap around grip fit? what about normal 1911 grips, will they fit?

someone told me the GI highcap takes paraord p14 (14 round) mags. if so, do they fit flush? the mag that came with the gun is only 13 rounds.

!!UPDATE BELOW!!

Well, last weekend we got out to the range. he is very disappointed, as am i. with WWB, their was failures to feed about every 3 round for well over 200 rounds. the WWB was mixed with speer lawman, and the speer seemed to do better. the factory mecgar had this problem, as well as a factory 10rnder he got that i made a highcap for him. (it had 2 dimples on the side to stop the follower, i just sanded it down flat)

the problem was always with feeding. a round would fire and eject normally, but the next bullet would not go all the way into battery. the slide would have to be pushed forward. on both magazines this would always happen on the last round without fail, and can even reproduce this racking the slide manually on the last round from either magazine.

i know next to nothing about 1911's because i always hear stories about shit like this and avoid them my px4 shot a couple hundred rounds without a single hiccup

any ideas? and no, "send it back" isnt an idea.

!!SECOND UPDATE!!

roomie got pissed that it wasnt working and went to work. took it apart. seems he is a fellow WECSOG member like myself and decided to just bend the living fk out of the extractor with his bare hands until it started feeding right

all rounds now eject and feed normally when hand cycled except for the last round of the converted mag (probaly needs a new spring since it was orginally a 10rnd'er). well see how well it actually works tomorrow hopefully.

is this how everyone "tunes the extractor?"

battle of the ages! 9 vs 45! 1911 vs beretta! tycho vs gabe!
]

hasnt even been fired yet in this pic! (notice i still taught him how to carry it correctly! )
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Para P-14 mags will fit flush.  They are much higher quality than the factory Springfield mags, which downright suck.

As far as grips, there are no aftermarket grips, unless something recent has changed.  Para grips will not fit, nor will regular 1911 grips.   Also, the grip screws are unique to this gun, though they have the same thread pitch as standard 1911 grips, but with a larger head.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
bump for update
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
tag!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I persoanlly would send it back. SA turned my 1911 repair around to me in under 3 weeks. No, it shouldn't fail to work out of the box, but atleast they will fix it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Extractor tension may be excessive, causing too much slide return energy to be dissipated in getting the round under the extractor.  

Or the chamber could have a burr, need polishing, or be in need of reaming.  I don't think that's as likely as extractor problems, though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Extractor tension may be excessive, causing too much slide return energy to be dissipated in getting the round under the extractor.  

Or the chamber could have a burr, need polishing, or be in need of reaming.  I don't think that's as likely as extractor problems, though.

+1!  I would start with the extractor.  Extractor adjustment can be done at home fairly easily.  I'm not the guy to explain it, but I'm sure if you do a search it will pop up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe a recoil spring change would help too, the spring that came on my GI 1911 sucked big time...
But that was one of the first ones that came out, maybe it's different now...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:37:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The guys here are right, it's most likely extractor tension.  It could also be barrel bind caused be insufficient clearance for swing up from the bushing, or even too much material on the lower barrel lugs.  

The point is, there are quite a few things that can cause it.  Replacing the recoil spring might solve your sypmtom, but not fix the cause.  Unless you have the ability to go step by step and check for each of the things mentioned, and the ability to fix them, then you have two options to fix it.  You can send it to a smith, paying for it out of your pocket, or you can send ti to Springfield for warranty work.  A smith with the knowledge to fix it will most probably have a backlog much longer than a few weeks, and sending it to Springfield is only going to be 2 - 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
update up top
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for not going into detail on the extractor adjustment.  Usually I pull the extractor about half way out of the slide, then push or pull, using the slide as leverage, in the correct direction depending on if its too tight or loose.  

Sounds like he might have it figured out.  Throw in a little polishing of the extractor and it should be good.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top