Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 5:10:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Slick-looking pistol.  I really like the new finish.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You are going to have a hell of a time trying to remove the rear sight if you don't have a sight remover/installer or press. Kimber sights are really tight, and are extremelly difficult to remove. I have seen a few rear sights and slides marred up pretty good trying to remove/instal rear sights. If you don't have the tools, which are pretty expensive, you will be better off sending the slide and sights back to Novak or Kimber for installation. You'll be glad you did!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
did you do the work yourself? It looks great, I would like to do mine in all black.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You are going to have a hell of a time trying to remove the rear sight if you don't have a sight remover/installer or press. Kimber sights are really tight, and are extremelly difficult to remove. I have seen a few rear sights and slides marred up pretty good trying to remove/instal rear sights. If you don't have the tools, which are pretty expensive, you will be better off sending the slide and sights back to Novak or Kimber for installation. You'll be glad you did!

Your right Kimber sights are tight, especially the adjustable ones. I routinely remove and reinstall sights for refinishing. Brownells sells a really good sight installation/removal tool for about $130.

I don't know how tight Kimber sights are compared to Sigs, but here's a little trick that worked for me.  Take your slide off and put it in the freezer for about an hour or two.  That causes the sights to shrink just a tiny bit.  Remove slide from freezer and put the slide in a padded vice and then knock the sights out with a drift punch.  It might just work for you too.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Love the finish.

Pics are fine . Save the $, and buy another 1911
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Kimber sights are press-fit into place and I suspect that is because the firing pin safety mechanism is retained by the sights and they don't want those parts removed. Normally, the adjustable target sights are much easier to remove.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
--snip--
I broke the plastic main spring housing. The main spring deal really got my blood boiling but after I calmed down its really no big deal.

It's a big deal to me.
Pisses me off to no end why they put plastic in good pistol.

One of the first things I did to my Kimber was change out the plastic flat MSH to an Ed Brown arched MSH.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
--snip--
I broke the plastic main spring housing. The main spring deal really got my blood boiling but after I calmed down its really no big deal.

It's a big deal to me.
Pisses me off to no end why they put plastic in good pistol.

One of the first things I did to my Kimber was change out the plastic flat MSH to an Ed Brown arched MSH.

I spoke to Kimber this morning. Very friendly customer service dept. I expressed my feelings about putting plastic parts on an $800 weapon meant for self defense. They are sending me a replacement msh (plastic) and offered to sell me a metal one. I politely declined thier offer and ordered one from Wilson Combat. Looks like I will ethier have my next 1911 built or buy a Wilson or LesBaer.

I hear ya on the plastic issue. But going with the Wilson or Les Baer will be much more expensive, as I am sure you know. Tha is a great looking pistol. I am thinking about that color combo on my 1911. I need a good finisher though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice work the pistol looks great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top