Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 1:52:14 PM EDT
Hey guys any help on this would be great, I was either considering building my own micro compact like SA sells or should I just buy their GI model. I prefer to do things myself but cant find anyone selling frames and parts for the micro compact guns? this will be an off duty carry gun thats the only reason I was considering just buying the SA micro GI.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have lots of experience with tweaking/building 1911's, I would say buy the SA and modify it as you see fit.  The smaller the 1911, generally the more finicky they get.  The SA GI models are typically reliable and usable right out of the box, plus they are a great base to build on.

ETA:  If you really want to build one, check out Caspian for a frame and slide, or maybe even STI if you want a widebody kit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
is it posible to change the sites on the GI model? I think that it is going to be my best bet, I would rather be able to shoot it more than figure out what is wrong with it. pluss I need it to be reliable for an off duty gun.

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Sights can be changed, although your options are somewhat limited if you want to use the factory dovetail and post type front sight.  If you want to do it all yourself, do a search for Ted Yost in Google.  The Yost-Bonitz guys have about the best "standard dovetail" sights out there.

Typically I'll send a slide off to have sights installed, as I'm partial to Heinie's and have to have dovetails cut.  Do you have a set of sights in mind?  Sight installation doesn't cost too much when you consider how much easier they can make the weapon to use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top