Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 11:47:22 AM EDT
Hey all,
I just posted this on LTW, so if you saw it there, no need to keep on reading...
I've been thinking of acquiring a 10mm 1911. I'd love to have a Delta, BUT every one I've seen is commanding a premium price and NIB ones are easily around the $1500 mark.  I'm leery of buying a used one, particularly since they haven't been made for a while, and some of the people selling aren't the original owners (so they don't know things like the round count etc).  This has me wondering. Since even if I did get a Colt, I'd prolly send it out for some work, I've been wondering if I'd be better off just having the gun built from scratch (Caspian frame/slide, Bar-Sto barrel, etc)? I mean looking at the prices, I figure the Caspian frame/slide would set me back around $460 if I went with stainless and low Heine sight cut and significantly less if I went with carbon and USGI sight cut, a Bar-Sto 10mm barrel around $200.

Now, I'm debating whether some of the options from Caspian would save me money (dehorn is $22 , 20LPI checkering from Caspian is $80, hand fit slide/frame 90% is $50) or if I'd regret not having a smith do it.

I know that doing anything custom is hardly "saving money", BUT in your opinion, do you think I'd be able to get a really nice 10mm 1911 built up (with quality parts etc) for not much more than I'm seeing NIB Colt Deltas going for ($1500-ish)?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have to have a Colt, I'd go with a build on a Caspian slide and frame.  You can find a good used Delta for around $1000, but that's still way more than a slide and frame will run you.  Unless you can handle the gun beforehand, you are taking a risk on the condition of the gun.  Most sellers out there are honest folks, but there are some who mis-represent their wares and won't honor an inspection period after they have your cash.  As far as having Caspian do any work, pick a gunsmith you want to have make your gun and discuss it with them.  The 'smiths I've spoken to about a project like this would prefer to do the work themselves, as they know it will be done right and they won't have to correct anyone else's mistakes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
There is  Baer if that is good enough. I would buy one from them before paying a premium for a used Delta. .02
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is  Baer if that is good enough. I would buy one from them before paying a premium for a used Delta. .02

True, then again, I know Nighthawk makes 'em too.  But that would be $2K+
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You're looking at 2K+ to have one built, too, once you figure in all of the parts and labor.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
you could always go with a Dan Wesson in 10mm (click pic) or any of the other 10mm 1911's such as Kimber's Stainless Target II/Eclipse Custom II/ in 10mm,

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you could always go with a Dan Wesson in 10mm (click pic) or any of the other 10mm 1911's such as Kimber's Stainless Target II/Eclipse Custom II/ in 10mm,

www.cz-usa.com/images/products/66.jpg

Yeah, but I don't want forward cockers or a bobtail.  Just a cosmetically plain 5" 1911.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah, but I don't want forward cockers or a bobtail.  Just a cosmetically plain 5" 1911.

that's not the only model they offer.  and if the serrations are a problem, the building your own, or a Delta are the only options that I know of that fit your criteria.  But for the money, the DW seems to be the best choice in 10mm

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But for the money, the DW seems to be the best choice in 10mm

I think the Dan Wesson would be hard to beat right now.  I wish I would have waited for the 10mm bobtail to come out.  Since you don't want the bobtail, try to find a dealer that carries DW and ask about a fullsize, they are remarkable guns.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy crap that's how much they are now.I bought mine back when they frist came out in the 80's only for about $500
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top