Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 7:30:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
They should be a good quality product; however, I personally don't like their thumb safeties because the thumb pads are very thin and my thumb keeps slipping off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
They are very good, quality wise.  Unlike most ambis, the right side lever feels rock solid.  They have a captive pin that keeps the lever from walking out.  For me, the only downside is that the levers extend all the way back into the pin area, like a stock Colt safety.  They dig into my hand a bit much.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought I would share this.  A very noted pistolsmith that I have a great deal of respect for shared his thoughts on the Kings safety.  He has way more experience with them than I do.  

He said his experience was that they have an overly deep dovetail in the roght side lever, and that this weakens the joint on the pin.  He will not use these safeties.  Though I've had great luck with them, I don't have near the experience of this gentleman, so I thought I would pass it along.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey hobbs5624-What ambi safety would you recommend? I'm thinking of putting one on my SA..
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#5]
On my personal guns and most I do for others, I use Ed Brown or Wilson.  I like using Ed Brown's non tactical, and then trimming the pads slightly.  I shoot with my right thumb on top of the safety, so the slight angle of the pad seems to help keep my thumb away from the slide a little.  

I find that Wilson safeties are a little easier to get a good fit at the joint, but that's my experience.  I just asked another more experienced smith how he felt about the King's safeties, and he also does not particularly care for them.  

I just put in a Cylinder and Slide unit on a friend's gun, and it's the second time I've used it in the last couple years.  It seems to be very well made.  The only safety I tell people to stay away from are the McCormick ambis, as I've had 3 break on me now.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I like some of the CMC stuff, but I too have heard of the ambis breaking..

I'll stick with Wilson..I have been using their stuff for years and have yet to have a problem....I see no reason to change yet...plus I have the Brownell's discount, which is nice!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The Marines are using the King's ambi safety on the MEU(SOC) pistol.  That's a pretty high endorsement.  

I had one on one of my guns and removed it after the first IDPA match I shot with it.  One stage had you picking up the gun unloaded and quickly loading the thing.  I just about took the top of my fingers off when I did this.  The right side lever sticks up a bit high and if you reach of the slide to rack it, you'll nail the tips of your fingers.  

For the record, I have also had a CMC safety break.  The lever just snapped during the fitting process.  There was an obvious rust spot in the metal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've installed just over a dozen ambi's, mostly Ed Brown - which I've had very good results with.

This past weekend fitted a Les Baer (wide left side, narrow right side) to a Colt Series 80 Enhanced.  Had to reduce the diameter of the "pin" on the safety to get it to fit, and to widen the gap between the "body" of the safety and the lug so I could place the safety in the "down" position.  Definitely more work than the Brown.

Broke a McCormick before I ever got it in the gun (the "female" end broke, and I didn't exert much force on it).

I had Wilson ambis installed on two of my guns before I learned how to do it.  They have held up very well.

Can't go wrong with Brown and Wilson.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys, what about for us left handers? I was intrigued by Hobbs comment as to the right side rigidity of the Kings. Too bad they seem not to be "teh stuff".

Any more thoughts (or does anyone make a left handed oriented ambi)?

Oxymorons are large and stupid....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Guys, what about for us left handers? I was intrigued by Hobbs comment as to the right side rigidity of the Kings. Too bad they seem not to be "teh stuff".

Any more thoughts (or does anyone make a left handed oriented ambi)?

Oxymorons are large and stupid....

I'm not sure what you mean by "not the stuff".  The King safety is the one chosen by the USMC for the MEU(SOC) pistol.  Its VERY strong and solid and doesn't require a special cut-out in the grip panel to keep it in place.  My only complaint with it is something that a lefty would not encounter.  The right side lever sticks up and catches my middle finger when I reach over the slide to chamber a round.  The left side curves down slightly and wouldn't (shouldn't?) do the same thing to a left handed shooter.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I was thinking mainly of Hobbs second post. Again, he stated he's not had a problem. But when a guy many of us look up to in matters 1911 says a guy he looks up to in same says something, it certainly warrants attention. In this case, the gentleman in question won't use them as he says they have a weakness (in reality, many parts do).

Then again, my stock extendeds on the D. Warrior and the Loadeds are working pretty well so far.

I'm just picky on these things. Years ago, my first ambi 1911 safety was Colt's. Like stock, but on both sides. Then I bought an MS Safari Arms based on the Swenson patent. Maybe it was installed wrong, but there was a huge amount of slop. I sent it back and bought real Swenson levers, in stainless steel (anyone still selling these? Did his business pass to anyone when he passed away, or is all that history).

Armand was a class act all the way. Used to call him now and then, he'd tell me about the mountain lions he'd seen on his property that day, or some such.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:46:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I have several of the King's safeties, and find them excellent. Very strong, and easy to operate. I have broken CMC safeties, but not a King's. They are super hi-quality. They have been in the buisness since the early '50s, and are an outstanding company to deal with. Great parts and great customer service.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Armand was a class act all the way. Used to call him now and then, he'd tell me about the mountain lions he'd seen on his property that day, or some such.....

He was a very nice man who always took time to talk with his customers and never made you feel like he was rushing you.  

I never had any problem with Kings either over the 10-12 years I built 1911s for customers.  Always found them to be of good quality.  I always prefered the Swensons as my favoriate (still hording my last 2 sets of ambis) and have them on all my old 1911s.  JD
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the King's but prefer the Kimber.  I'll try to post comparison pics of the two when I get home tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the Kimbers too, but they are MIM parts, and are prone to breaking.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Kimber on left, King's on right

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Great pics.  That last one is the one you can see my only complaint with the Kings.  Note how the Kimber curves slightly down.  The very tip of it is below the level of the lisde when disengaged.  That keeps it out of your finger's way when charging it.  The Kings has less curve and therefore, leaves the tip just high enough and far enough out to nainl your middle finger if you use the "hand over the top" method of charging the gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Why do you need an ambi-safety? I have one that came on my Coly XSE and I hate it. I'm right handed, it serves no purpose for me. Can't find grips without getting them cut for an ambi. People say there's a risk of disengaging the safety when carrying cocked and locked. I'd like to convert mine to a standard safety if possible.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why do you need an ambi-safety? I have one that came on my Coly XSE and I hate it. I'm right handed, it serves no purpose for me. Can't find grips without getting them cut for an ambi. People say there's a risk of disengaging the safety when carrying cocked and locked. I'd like to convert mine to a standard safety if possible.

Guess you haven't been paying attention.  With the Kimber and King's you don't have to buy special grips.

Also, if all you ever do is go to the target range and punch holes in circles then you're not likely to understand the need for an ambi safety.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#20]
As opposed to what? You need an ambi-safety making your dynamic entry to clear a house, weapon transition to your weak hand, sweep off your ambi-safety and get down to work? Or in case you get shot and have to make a transition to your weak hand? I haven't had the need serving high risk warrants, but I bow to your supreme tactical godliness.

Chill, man. I'm not busting balls. I was asking a legitimate question to a guy who was considering an ambi-safety, and as I stated, I am considering getting rid of mine. I carry a glock 21 on duty and my Colt as my ccw. I haven't found the need for it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
As opposed to what? You need an ambi-safety making your dynamic entry to clear a house, weapon transition to your weak hand, sweep off your ambi-safety and get down to work? Or in case you get shot and have to make a transition to your weak hand? I haven't had the need serving high risk warrants, but I bow to your supreme tactical godliness.

Chill, man. I'm not busting balls. I was asking a legitimate question to a guy who was considering an ambi-safety, and as I stated, I am considering getting rid of mine. I carry a glock 21 on duty and my Colt as my ccw. I haven't found the need for it.

Again, evidently you haven't been paying attention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top