Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 1:33:37 AM EDT
Tactical Kit
GI Kit

Anyone have any experance with these? i'm guessing the quality of the parts might be a bit questionable but it could be a good start for a Beginners 1911 i'd venture a guess...

not to mention while building it you could swap out any parts you dident like..

i would figure at the most it might require a bit of fit, finnesh, and polish to get it nice but eh..

Jess
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
While that is intriguing and if they've found an old stash of USGI parts I'm all over it, HOWEVER, with the sportsmans guide I'm somewhat leery as I've gotten things from them before that have been WILDLY misrepresented...  

Also I don't mean to rain on your parade, but builds for the beginner aren't necessarily cheap when it comes to getting a good 1911 up and running.  Unless you're really looking for the thrill of the project its probably cheaper to get something off the shelf very close to what you want and tweek it a bit, or drop the $$$ and get a full custom that has everything on it you want.  

I picked up something on the cheap a while back and spent about half the initial price just trying to get it working correctly... I've unfortunetly found that you get what you pay for in terms of 1911 parts and trying to cheap out has only left me with something that sat in the safe...  

But, that said, let us know if you figure out who made the parts....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not bashing anyone here, but, building a 1911 on a budget is not like building an AR on a budget.  To have a decent gun (the quality of an entry level Springfield) is going to cost more than buying the Springfield.  

I've seen both kits from Sportsman's guide.  The disconnector, hammer, and sear are usually out of stock.  The extractors are atrocious, and the trigger bow is extremely soft.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen one of those kits..junk parts.

The slide is serviceable, but the rest is crap. You will spend more in getting the right parts to finish it than just buying a Mil-Spec or a G.I.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
They look like Armscorp kits, never heard anything good about them.  Don't bother with them unless you're a smith or you want to have a real challenge and you've got the money to throw away trying to make it work.  For a beginner gun, I'd suggest a Springfield GI or Mil-Spec, the basic model or if you're really on a budget, a Norinco or RIA (made in the Phillippines) and just tweak it until you get what you want.  You may be able to get away with using a Auto-Ordnance if you really have to, but I haven't heard anything good about their guns (or the frames, even).  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Well allrighty i just ofund them when i was browsing sportsmans guide.. the other thing that has me intreaged is the 2 Mil-Spec mags and USGI mag pouch but i'm worryed that they would be chinese mags or something..

it just seemed like it might of been an option for someone..

Jess
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
...does d p m s still sell 45 kits?........i know they did at one time....the same type of kit that sportsmans has..showed up somewhere else...(can`t remember where right now)....probably is armscorp or similar....numrich parts (auto ordnance) has slides etc....brownells sells frames slides bbls etc. that are good quality.....my feeling is that if you want to build a good 1911...you could accomplish it through the mfgs of quality pieces....although it would be somewhat costly..but you can put together exacxtly what you want...have the quality...and the pride etc of the build....shop around...there are sales...varied prices etc....also..80% frames that are quality forged....cdnn has a bunch of colt parts that are either colt made or chip mccormick....a phone call would help....hey..i wouldn`t mind doing it...time consuming a little expensive maybe....but no question as to what type or how made on the parts....after some of the posts i`ve read...i wonder if that isn`t a good idea....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top