Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 12:28:46 PM EDT
I have a Kimber Custom TLE II, however mine does not have the integrated light rail in the frame. I was searching the internet and really liked the Dawson Rail that you can mount to your 1911. My questionn is what are some of the types of weaponlights avaliable to put on these rails, I really like the Surefire weaponlights like the Classic Light System for the 1911 or the x200a, and x200b. Do any of these work on the Dawson Rail?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The classic is a stand alone light system, and attaches with a proprietary slide stop and two set screws.  It will mar the finish on the frame in short order, but it's a good light.  Compared to the X200A and B, it's very heavy, and it will not pulloff the gun in a hurry.  It requires tools for installation and removal, and you cannot use it with the Dawson rail.

The advantage to the Dawson rail is that it is unobtrusive, you can use almost any regular 1911 holster instead of a holster that is specific to a railed gun, and it's well made.  The disadvantages are it is a little pricey, requires drilling and tapping of the frame (it permanently modifies the gun), and it requires gunsmith installation if you don't have a drill press and taps.

Also, the adapter that fits the Surefire X200A/B will not fit the other Surefire lights like the Nitrolon.  You would need a separate adapter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Yost-Bonitz also makes a rail like the Dawson.

Jason says that if I pimp their stuff well, he will give me a toaster oven.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Right now I am shooting a Kimber with the Dawson rail and adapter and a SF Nitrolon 217D.

See here: My Thread on 10-8 Forums

I like it.  I got a smokin' hot deal on the light and adapter in a private purchase.  The rail, it's installation, and shipping cost me $103.

Now, the idea that a 1911 with a Dawson rail will fit in leather carry-type holsters may or may not be true in each case.  With a bit of work I was able to get mine to fit quite well in my Sparks VMII.  As for a training/range type holster, Blade-Tech does make a holster that will fit this particular combo.  I need to get one on order as it takes 5-6 weeks.

If you do not want to go with a dedicate 1911 with a integral rail frame, I would recommend the Dawson rail and adapter.  It is very nice.

How is the rail attached to the frame?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is secured by three bolts (screws) and lock-tite.  It's solid.

I have heard of some folks who had their smith bolt it and silver-solder it.

I have heard of some smiths welding it in and then grinding the welds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The soldering and welding seem a bit like over-kill to me.  Dawson designed, produces, and installs them to work with only the screws.  And I have never heard of one coming loose.

I thought that they were mounted by screws...

Good..that means I can do it..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Red loc-tite might be an option in place of soldering.

It is used quite often in scope mounts for 1911 race guns.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#12]
What I meant is that the smith drilled and tapped, installed it, then dropped a bead around the screw on the inside of the dust cover and buzzed it back down. That is NOT coming back off!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The soldering and welding seem a bit like over-kill to me.  Dawson designed, produces, and installs them to work with only the screws.  And I have never heard of one coming loose.

I thought that they were mounted by screws...

Good..that means I can do it..

They are mounted with screws.  But some smiths have gone back over them and welded/soldered the edges of the rail to the frame.  I might do both soldering and the screws, but not just the solder/weld job.

And I would suggest that you only try to do this yourself if you have sufficient skills.

Does having been a machinist and having a Dad that is a Master Machinist and having access to a Machine Shop count?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sounds good to me, Dog.

I just think that probably 95% of folks can't or shouldn't.

Oh you are right about that. I have seen some screwed up guns by people that couldn't wield a screwdriver let alone a Dremel tool or a drill...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top