Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 4:54:01 AM EDT
So heres the deal.
Im waiting for the state to send my CHL, so in the maen time Ive been thinking 1911 because the Glock 22 is huge.
I want a 1911 that is good, but I dont want to pay Colt or Kimber prices for a carry gun. Saturday I did a comparison of a Springfield and a High Standard. Ive heard the Springfields were good, but when I picked up the High Standard, it looked and felt just like the Springfield. The only difference between the 2 of them that I could tell was $100! The guy behind the counter was even carrying a High Standard and he swore by his. Just between us though, he seemed like a dufus.
So thats my question. Which one to buy?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If the G22 is too big, by not get a compact or a subcompact? I have both the Glock 23 and Glock 27. The G27 is the perfect size for a carry gun. You can insert the G23 mags into it and have 13 rounds and have a better grip on it.
ETA www.glock.com/40.htm

Since I've never handled a High Standard, let alone heard of them until now, Id say go with a Springfield.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:25:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The G22 is much WIDER than a 1911.  But the length of a 1911 is greater.

Which SPRINGFIELD are you looking at?  I'm guessing one of the "G.I." models?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the G22 is too big, by not get a compact or a subcompact? I have both the Glock 23 and Glock 27. The G27 is the perfect size for a carry gun. You can insert the G23 mags into it and have 13 rounds and have a better grip on it.

Ive messed with both the compact and sub compact, and I do agree they are both nice, however Ive been wanting a 1911 for a while and this is a good justifyable excuse to get one, so...
And markm, yes it is the Springfield GI model. High Standard calls theirs the G-Man model.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive messed with both the compact and sub compact, and I do agree they are both nice, however Ive been wanting a 1911 for a while and this is a good justifyable excuse to get one, so...
And markm, yes it is the Springfield GI model. High Standard calls theirs the G-Man model.

I cant blame you. Im a glock man, but after shooting a few 1911s, I went out and got me one(the trigger is SOOOOOOO much more smoother). I use it as my main carry gun. Colt Govt Series 80. It's big, but I have a great holster for it. I just need to save up some $$ and make some upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's the way I understand it but keep in mind that I may not be totally correct.

The highly respected High Standard name was purchased by Mitchell Arms. I believe the guns are being manufactured in the Philipines by Armscor, as with the Charles Daly, Rock Island Armory and other inexpensive 1911's.

I have seen many of these guns and the quality control does not seem to be as inconsistent as in the past. For the money, these can be a good value but are probably not in the same class as the Springfield.

If you want one cheap, buy a Rock Island for less than $300. Personally, I'd stick with the Springfield.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top