Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:46:32 PM EDT
I just picked up a "brand new" S&W 1911PD 4.25", and when I went to strip it down, I noticed it seemed dirty for a "new" pistol.  I know the factory test fires the gun, but, don't they clean it after test firing?  My other question is did I get screwed and end up with a "used" gun?  FWIW the last new pistol I purchased (a Glock 21) was clean as could be right out of the box, whereas this one left nice pretty black marks all over my fingers and hands while breaking it down.

Regardless, I am going to clean it up and start breaking it in!  I am just trying to figure out how I can scam work into letting me leave early tomorrow so I can hit the range

Edited to add that my last handgun purchase before this one was a new purchase and to add a photo!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, the bigger manufacturers do not clean the firearms when they leave.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, maybe I was overly paranoid because this was the fastest cleaning I have yet to give a gun.  First patch, a little dirty, but not bad.  Second patch, clean as could be.  Wipe down the rest of the parts with some CLP and I was done.

I know I have heard some pros and cons about this particular 1911 and its external extractor, but that still didn't deter me from purchasing it.  It was light and it seemed to point well when handling it, therefore I just couldn't come home without it.  

I just hope I don't get addicted to 1911s like I did to AR-15s.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Okay, maybe I was overly paranoid because this was the fastest cleaning I have yet to give a gun.  First patch, a little dirty, but not bad.  Second patch, clean as could be.  Wipe down the rest of the parts with some CLP and I was done.

I know I have heard some pros and cons about this particular 1911 and its external extractor, but that still didn't deter me from purchasing it.  It was light and it seemed to point well when handling it, therefore I just couldn't come home without it.  

I just hope I don't get addicted to 1911s like I did to AR-15s.  

I went to a big gun show here in the area over the weekend, and almost every new gun I looked at was dirty enough to make me ask "Is this a *new* gun?"  The answer was always "yes".

And don't bet on the addiction thing.....I'm on 1911 #4 in less than three months.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top