Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 6:22:13 AM EDT
Anyone know of a good source for 1911 receivers/frames?  Thinking about putting one together from pieces that I have, although I would need to get a decent frame.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Brownell's.  Especially if you have a C&R.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you consider a decent frame?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Get your dealer to order a Les Baer from Brownells.  Why not start with a frame that you can bet is within specs?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Caspianlink
Rock River Arms link
STI link
Essex link
Sarco Inc  link (not on website, advertised in Shotgun news, unknown quality)
Wilson Combat link
Les Baer link
Mccormick link
Nowlin link

I'm sure there are others but this is just a quick list.  Caspian seems to be the frame of choice for custom builds, especially 1911a1s.  You can find used colts and others at gun shows, but I'm unaware of anywhere else online other than the gun auction sites.  I plan on stepping up and building my own in the next year or so, and I'll more than likely buy the Nowlin set since I was more than impressed with their friendliness and willing to answer questions and for that matter volunteered to show me several tricks and tips on top of showing the various angles of the sear engagement under a 25x lens, and they have a great reputation with their barrels and I would doubt their frames are of any less quality.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a S.A.M. (shooters arms) for 150 with the slide, barrel and bushing NEW. the guy has one more set. S.A.M. is a philipennes company. NOT RIA. looks fine some machine marks but i am not concerned as it is my first build
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get your dealer to order a Les Baer from Brownells.  Why not start with a frame that you can bet is within specs?

I'm not disagreeing about them being in spec (sort of), but they are one of the more difficult frames to build on.  If you have access to a lot of equipment, then it's nothing but a lot of extra time.  If not, then you might find it impossible.  The frame rails, like many good frames, are oversized, but they are very oversized.  A milling machine is usually required.  

They have notoriously small slide stop pin holes, and unless you have a precise way to drill this or a very small adjustable reamer, it can suck.  Bad.  I built one for a friend and it measured .186".  Most slide stop pins are .199"  I've never seen one smaller than .196" (aftermarket), and ten thousandths is a lot.

Also, they have a lot of rollover on the various machining cuts.  That same frame took 4 hours of filing just to get a mag release in, and I had at least 20 different mag releases to choose from, not to mention the customer's.  Most people I talk to don't like them because of the difficulty of putting one together.  Why spend hours filing things like the mag release cut, the slot for the mainspring housing, etc., when you can buy a Caspian that is better and cheaper?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Caspian last year for a project and was amazed at the quality and the price. I think I paid $160. for the frame alone. It is definitely worth more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a new guy with my first post, but fwiw, I've had great results with Essex frames and slides, and they are really nice folks to deal with. The very few times I needed to go furthur than what was possible with the Essex parts it was a simple matter to find something suitable at Brownells, like somebody already mentioned.
The essex stuff is really tight and well made, and consistant.
They'll fit slides and frames for you as well if you approach them about it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Edited because I'm a f'ing retard and I didn't remember that Blamm0 meant the discount, not direct shipping.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]

I used a Doublestar frame for a build recently. The are very good quality in my opinion, and I found nothing that was ultra tight or too loose. I think they are forged and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat for a standard shooter build. Their website is being rebuilt but they have an order number if you want to look them up. Since Caspian frames are all cast I'm no longer interested (Please don't anyone tell me about the cast is good and lots of smiths use them argument--I know all that already).

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not disagreeing about them being in spec (sort of), but they are one of the more difficult frames to build on.  If you have access to a lot of equipment, then it's nothing but a lot of extra time.  If not, then you might find it impossible.  The frame rails, like many good frames, are oversized, but they are very oversized.  A milling machine is usually required.  

They have notoriously small slide stop pin holes, and unless you have a precise way to drill this or a very small adjustable reamer, it can suck.  Bad.  I built one for a friend and it measured .186".  Most slide stop pins are .199"  I've never seen one smaller than .196" (aftermarket), and ten thousandths is a lot.

Also, they have a lot of rollover on the various machining cuts.  That same frame took 4 hours of filing just to get a mag release in, and I had at least 20 different mag releases to choose from, not to mention the customer's.  Most people I talk to don't like them because of the difficulty of putting one together.  Why spend hours filing things like the mag release cut, the slot for the mainspring housing, etc., when you can buy a Caspian that is better and cheaper?

Understand.  I didn't intend to suggest that LB's were the only one out there that would spec but I had just put the brownells down.  What I  hate to see is someone wasting their time on something that isn't right to begin with.   Also an option is a bare bones slide/frame fitted for the problem of oversized rails.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The LB frame is a real bear to build on.  I do not have any mills or lathes to work with.  So I have to do all my work by hand.  I used stones, files, sand paper and a lot of elbow greese.  Let's nto get into the swearing I have used so far.  Just to get my frame and slide to go took about 12 hours.  I am not done yet, but getting closer.  I chose an LB because that is the beauty of life today, I have choices.  Would I do again if I did not have to???  Oh heck no.  Caspian all the way.  I also like the fact I am building on a Ruger.  They have always held a soft spot for me.  Love my mrk 11.  The NM specs are nto that hard to deal with it just takes time to get everything fitted if you want to go that route.  I guess I like the idea of having all the work done by me.  If it is not done correctly I am to blame and not some one else.  DO nto get me wrong... down the road I wish to build on a lot of other frames, but for now I jsut hav eto guild on what i can get att he time.  As to sources you can contact Caspian and order direct throgh an ffl for the reciever.  they provide a pre fitted slide frame combo or a gunsmith fit combo.  LB, EB and others will sell a frame too.  Do not like the choice you have with brownells.  Ordering direct am able to get the reciever with the options I want that they offer.  For example... My next build I am going to build a compact .40 cal.  Can not get that through Brownells.

Good luck
Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I used a Doublestar frame for a build recently. The are very good quality in my opinion, and I found nothing that was ultra tight or too loose. I think they are forged and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat for a standard shooter build. Their website is being rebuilt but they have an order number if you want to look them up. Since Caspian frames are all cast I'm no longer interested (Please don't anyone tell me about the cast is good and lots of smiths use them argument--I know all that already).

Caspian has both cast and barstock....just for info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top