Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 6:56:04 PM EDT
well i have both, my series 80 came with a plug and i just put in a frame saver 1 piece. please weigh the pros and cons.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
FLGR is BLING. It serves no better purpose than the original design and complicates disassembly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually I would just say that have not shown to increase reliability, the only benefit normally being the extra weight out front helps tame recoil.  They do complicate assembly.  They may also ping the back of your suppressor if you are using one (depends on setup).

However I use one in a particular slide upper I have in .45 because it allows me to pop out the slide catch and remove the entire slide assembly complete, then I swap it with my .22lr conversion kit, slide catch lever pin back in and away I go.  It's a unique situation otherwise there is generally no use for it except weight.  It's also harder to cycle one handed in certain tactical situations.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The only pro I know of for the FL, is that your recoil spring will have double the life.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:44:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only pro I know of for the FL, is that your recoil spring will have double the life.

Why is that?  No binding of the spring?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?  No binding of the spring?

That may be it. But, you now have the opportunity to find out.  And yes, I do know it for a fact, but you probably knew that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Gotcha.  I was actually just on Brownells site looking for a GI rod and plug.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gotcha.  I was actually just on Brownells site looking for a GI rod and plug.

The real question is, do you want the pain it adds to disassembly to lengthen the life of a very inexpensive part? I will bring my commander to the next shoot and let you disassemble it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:08:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought the GI plug was going to be a ton easier to take down than the Kimber full length I have now.  Yeah, the springs are cheap, I'll probably just keep a few of those around.  But this full length guide rod has got to go.  It's kind of a pain.

But still bring your Commander, just because its cool.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:12:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought the GI plug was going to be a ton easier to take down than the Kimber full length I have now.  Yeah, the springs are cheap, I'll probably just keep a few of those around.  But this full length guide rod has got to go.  It's kind of a pain.

But still bring your Commander, just because its cool.

I forgot about your new baby!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I forgot about your new baby!  

I like it for sure, its seems pretty accurate too.

Sorry for the Boisean hijack Inspector1
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And where did you get that bogus pearl of wisdom?

Springs wear from compression & release, a FLGR does nothing to decrease that.

From actual use?

Nevermind, I have no clue about such things.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sorry for the Boisean hijack Inspector1

No kidding. I will bow out now that SGB, and all of his expert wisdom has come to the thread.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No kidding. I will bow out now that SGB, and all of his expert wisdom has come to the thread.

If you believe you're right prove him wrong.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#15]
If you like a FLGR use it, if you don't like it, use the original GI setup.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:55:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I apologize guys. This is the internet, and the only "proof" I have to offer, is personal experience.  I have been on here long enough to know that personal experience don't count for sh*t with most here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#18]
If you have personal experience please explain it. I am relatively new to 1911 and prefer the GI guide rod because it is easy for me to dissemble with no tools. If you explain your reasoning why you like FL I might change my mind.

But now you just sound like another want to be know it all going right to degrading others.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:52:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't prefer them, and when you realy get down to it, it doesn't matter, If you like them for what ever reason, so be it. If not, it is not an expensive part. I have several wilsons' around just because.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#21]
First, a recoil spring won't "bind" in a GI setup (by the time it gets close to complete compression, it's almost totaly encased within the plug with the guide rod up thru the center.....no place for the spring to go, other than where it's supposed to! ).  
I've run both FLGR and GI setups.   A FLGR SLIGHTLY complicates disassembly.   On the other hand it does absolutely NOTHING to improve lock-up "tightness", spring life, remove crab grass, replace balding hair or improve your sex life (unless both you and your significant other absolutely love a dead-sexy FLGR ).  It's said that a FLGR improves feeding and extraction......it feeds the dealer who's selling it to you and exatracts $$$ from your wallet!
On the other hand, a GI plug assembly allows you to do two things that you can't do with a FLGR setup.  By pressing the lower edge of the slide (directly on the plug) against a hard object, like a table edge for instance, you can cycle the pistol one handed.  Also, my preferred way of doing a "press-check" is to hook the thumb of my non-shooting hand in the trigger guard, reach forward with the index finger of the same hand, place my fingertip on the plug and gently squeeze.   No danger of sticking a finger or two in front of the "loud end" of the barrel, that way.

YYMV, though........ LOL
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
First, a recoil spring won't "bind" in a GI setup (by the time it gets close to complete compression, it's almost totaly encased within the plug with the guide rod up thru the center.....no place for the spring to go, other than where it's supposed to! ).  

That's what I was wanting to know.  Makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top