Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 10:31:16 PM EDT
I was just wnndering if MIMs are used in high end Wilson Combat 1911s? Are Wilson 1911s really that good? Are they really the "badass" of all 1911s?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
No MIM, They are very good, no not the badass of all!  Seriously, they are VERY well made SEMI-custom pistols.  For the same money you can have more or less.  Wilson's customer service is second to NONE, if you need it.  All in all, they are a great firearm, and something to be proud of.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was just wnndering if MIMs are used in high end Wilson Combat 1911s? Are Wilson 1911s really that good? Are they really the "badass" of all 1911s?

I'm not sure if they are ""Badass of all 1911s", but they are a very well built and reliable 1911. Wilson is certianly one of the best available in the semi-custom market. As long as you stick with the 5" steel models. I have heard bad things about the polymer high cap models, but that’s to be expected in my eyes. The terms "Polymer" and "High Cap" just do not sound right if your looking for a reliable 1911.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
My Wilson has been the best firearm I've ever owned in all categories.  I like it better than my more expensive Ed Brown.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never shot a Wilson personally.  But 1911's are finicky little critters.  Each one is an animal of its own.  I'm not convinced that you need to pay 2 grand to get a reliable a 1911.  My most reliable 1911 is a $260 Norinco.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for Wilson Combat - my favorite of the "top 3" (Baer, Brown, Wilson). They make great hard working guns, their service is the best of other semi-custom shops, and they do great custom work. They may not look the prettiest, but they are just as capable.

Quoted:
[...]The terms "Polymer" and "High Cap" just do not sound right if your looking for a reliable 1911.

... unless it's built on STI frame.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've never shot a Wilson personally.  But 1911's are finicky little critters.  Each one is an animal of its own.  I'm not convinced that you need to pay 2 grand to get a reliable a 1911.  My most reliable 1911 is a $260 Norinco.

markm with all due respect, why would you post your opinion in a WC thread if you have never even shot one?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. What about Colts, Kimbers, & Springfield Armory 1911s? Do they all use MIMs? Thanks all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
markm with all due respect, why would you post your opinion in a WC thread if you have never even shot one?

Fglocker asked if Wilsons were worth it.  I didn't get the impression that he was really asking for personal shooting experience.  If I missunderstood him, he can simply disregard my reply.  IMO, no 1911 is worth 2 grand, Wilson or any of the high enders.  I think you can get a Carbon steel Govt Model and put exactly the mods you want on it, and SAVE a BOAT LOAD of cash.

With the Wilson, you get a nice pistol, but IMO you're paying for the NAME.  If you have a lot of money.....   GO for it!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
With the Wilson, you get a nice pistol, but IMO you're paying for the NAME.

I will take that statement with a grain of salt considering you have absolutely zero personal expierence with WC or any other high end 1911 for that matter.

I wonder how you would react if I posted such crap in a HK MK23 thread?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. What about Colts, Kimbers, & Springfield Armory 1911s? Do they all use MIMs? Thanks all.

All of them use MIM parts in one degree or another. Except for the Springfield Armory PRO. Wilson might have used MIM for a short time back when it's use was new and considered to be OK, but they stopped when the problems popped up. At least they did on the CQB and higher end models. Most of other manufacturers continue to use it. Even then problems are very rare.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I was looking at the Wilson 1911's at a gun show today.  They look nice.  If I had the money I would look into one.  

Tagged for more info.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I just looked over at Wilson's website and it seems like their rifles are cheaper than their full line of 1911s. lol.

Do Wilson 1911s feature a firing pin safety?

Wilson 1911s looks sick but I know I'd hang myself once I drop it ;-)
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I've purchased several and they are nice pistols. Their customer service has proven to be top notch as well. I believe for the money they are as good of a value as any Les Baer or Ed Brown which I have owned as well. My ONLY druthers with the Wilson pistols is that on their fixed sight models, the sights, as well as the dovetail cut is proprietary. I believe they should have used a standard novak cut which would give the user more sight options.  

Sometime late in 2004 they stopped using MIM in all their CQBs. Also, the last I knew, barrels were made by Storm Lake machine which in my opinion is a decent barrel.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I wonder how you would react if I posted such crap in a HK MK23 thread?

What makes you think I've never handled High end 1911s?  I've just never shot a WILSON COMBAT.

What is an HK Mk23?  The BIG 45 pistol?  I assure you I would have no reaction.  I don't like HK guns at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Wilson Combat, very good quality ,but IMHO over priced. WC does not manufacturer any thing themself, they just assemble and fine tune parts made for them from various vendors. Their frames and slides are machined by Kimber from forgings made by Springfield armory. So you are basically buying is a Kimber with Wilson's name on it, hense the inflated price tag. Dont get me wrong it's a great product, just made by other people.         PATRIOT ARMORY 07 FFL
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

All of them use MIM parts in one degree or another. Except for the Springfield Armory PRO. Wilson might have used MIM for a short time back when it's use was new and considered to be OK, but they stopped when the problems popped up. At least they did on the CQB and higher end models. Most of other manufacturers continue to use it. Even then problems are very rare.

Actually, the Pro does use some MIM parts.  The hammer and sear are tool steel, but there are still several MIM parts.  Take a look at their custom shop page where they describe the upgrades that are done to make a GI model into a Professional.  The leave the MIM extractor, ejector, mag catch, safety and firing pin stop.  Its still a good gun, but likely overpriced for the parts you get on it.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
[...]WC does not manufacturer any thing themself, they just assemble and fine tune parts made for them from various vendors. Their frames and slides are machined by Kimber from forgings made by Springfield armory. So you are basically buying is a Kimber with Wilson's name on it, hense the inflated price tag. [...]

Before you post something like this, you have to warn people that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Take a look at their custom shop page where they describe the upgrades that are done to make a GI model into a Professional.  The leave the MIM extractor, ejector, mag catch, safety and firing pin stop.  Its still a good gun, but likely overpriced for the parts you get on it.

I was under the impression that Pro conversions do not get all of the parts changed, but the real Pros are built up with only quality parts.

I am in the market for a serviceable 1911. Do Wilson CQBs run out of the box? Is it alright to remove the shock buffer (don't know if the guns are tuned specifically to run with it)?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I am in the market for a serviceable 1911. Do Wilson CQBs run out of the box? Is it alright to remove the shock buffer (don't know if the guns are tuned specifically to run with it)?

99.9% of them do. 100% of my Wilsons (7 of them) ran 100% out of the box. You can remove the shock-buff because it's not needed. I sometimes run them in my competition guns, but I'd never put one in a self defense gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Wilson 1911s looks sick but I know I'd hang myself once I drop it ;-)

I don't love mine because of how it looks -- actually you'd probably cringe at how it looks now.  The finish is worn from lots of carry and shooting.  It's still pretty, but not display-case pretty.  I love it because it shoots so accurately, so reliably, and fits in my hand so well.  Honestly, it's amazing how well I can shoot with it (but not with other guns).
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[...]WC does not manufacturer any thing themself, they just assemble and fine tune parts made for them from various vendors. Their frames and slides are machined by Kimber from forgings made by Springfield armory. So you are basically buying is a Kimber with Wilson's name on it, hense the inflated price tag. [...]

Before you post something like this, you have to warn people that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Aleko is correct patriotarmory223 is clueless here

How much Wilson acutually produces now I don't know.  I do know that at one time, at least some slides, were done outside and was my understanding that a good bit of the wilson gun was the same.   Barrels and finishing included.  I do know that they required quality parts with tight tolerances and would reject anything substandard.  And yes, customer service is very good.

IMO they put a good gun together but for the money I can get a top shelf smith to build one with top notch parts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:  I am in the market for a serviceable 1911. Do Wilson CQBs run out of the box? Is it alright to remove the shock buffer (don't know if the guns are tuned specifically to run with it)?

My CQB ran / runs 100% out of the box and the shock buffer was the first thing that came out during the new gun field strip / clean / lube pre range trip maintenance.  I use ammo that is on their recommended list (RA45T) and Wilson 47 and 47Ds with Tripp follower / mag spring upgrade kits.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Wilson's are nice pistols if it runs out of the box.  In March of 03 I bought a new CQB and right out of the box it was not locking in to battery all of the time.  It seems they forgot to de bur the breach face.

After spending 50 bucks to overnight it to them.  They did fix it.  They never did reverse me for the shipping charge.  Pretty much they said tough shit.  

The slide to frame fit is awesome and smooth.  It is an accurate pistol. They do make awesome pistols I just think I bought to much into the hype and name.  I feel they are over priced IMHO.  Maybe I am just soured on my experience with Wilson.  If you do get it and it works you will love it.

Matt
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I have about 10K rounds through my late 2002 CQB. It's a great, accurate, and reliable pistol. I've never had any problems with it. I can't say that it's worth twice as much as my Colt and Kimber, but I still like it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:  I am in the market for a serviceable 1911. Do Wilson CQBs run out of the box? Is it alright to remove the shock buffer (don't know if the guns are tuned specifically to run with it)?

My CQB ran / runs 100% out of the box and the shock buffer was the first thing that came out during the new gun field strip / clean / lube pre range trip maintenance.  I use ammo that is on their recommended list (RA45T) and Wilson 47 and 47Ds with Tripp follower / mag spring upgrade kits.

eta: received 10/05, ordered 7/05
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Are they the badass of 1911s? YES. There are other "badasses" but for a semi custom carry you have a top notch pistol.

DO you need to blow 2 grand to have a reliable 1911? No. there are plenty of 600 1911s that will go bang when you pull the trigger (and even a few 300 like the NORINCO) Are they anywhere near as accurate? hardly. Are the fit and finish on par? Hardly. Colts can be great, but it's hit or miss (easy enough, just send it back and you're satisfied). A Wilson without a top notch fit/finish is an outrage. Does ANY 1911 manufacturer offer top notch customer service and a lifetime warranty that EXTENDS BEYOND THE ORIGINAL OWNER for a lesser? Not that I am aware of.

Now you want something shorter than 5" you really need to spend that $2k If you want the certainty of reliability. I should know. I bought an $800 compact, put another $300 in mods, and I was never satisfied with the results. After sending it back to the shop over and over to finally get it right I could have had the Wilson. Now I do, (CQB Compact) and I am glad I got it at a last.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Two grand?  Not even close.  Find a Wilson Combat Master Dealer.  Mine in Vegas got me the gun with his MD price plus his $50 markup.  Savings from retail and state tax kept the total price down.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Two grand?  Not even close.  Find a Wilson Combat Master Dealer.  Mine in Vegas got me the gun with his MD price plus his $50 markup.  Savings from retail and state tax kept the total price down.

I work for a Wilson Combat Master Dealer right now, and believe me I'd sell you a Wilson for just $50 dollars over cost right now! Those guns just don't sell. There really isn't a big mark up on them either. You can't mark a High priced pistol up even more??? Who would buy it then?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work for a Wilson Combat Master Dealer right now, and believe me I'd sell you a Wilson for just $50 dollars over cost right now! Those guns just don't sell. There really isn't a big mark up on them either. You can't mark a High priced pistol up even more??? Who would buy it then?

You know that for sure? :)

The cost for WC to build a CQB would surprise most..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he meant mark-up at the dealer level.  I'm sure Wilson makes good coin on them, but it doesn't surprise me that retailers don't see much of that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he meant mark-up at the dealer level.  I'm sure Wilson makes good coin on them, but it doesn't surprise me that retailers don't see much of that.

yep
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess it depends on your area.  The shop I work in part time is a Wilson Master Dealer as well as a Nighthawk dealer, and they can't keep either one of them in stock.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:31:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I live near Kiesler's Police Supply in Jeffersonville, Indiana..they used to carry Wilson guns, but they would never move...Kimbers, SA and Colt sold more.

Now..I have never owned a Wilson pistol, but I have used damn near every part in past guns and I would still use thier stuff. IMO, there is none better.

I would like to have one, but the cost is too damn high.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top