Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:14:18 PM EDT
This is my first 1911 and I love it so far. Its a Springfield champion model. Im left handed and have noticed different people offer ambidextrous safetys. Which one is compatible with my pistol and the best bang for the buck?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Any 1911 ambi is compatible with your gun.  Do you intend to have it professionally installed?  Also, most will have a slight wobble on the left side, and it's common for them to work their way loose.  

There are 3 brands that have either a sear or hammer pin that has a dovetailed protrusion that rides in a dovetail in the right side lever.  These are the Kimber pinned model (part 4100062), Kings, and Mueschke.  My personal preference is for the Kings (part 201A).

Of the non captive type ambi's my personal preference for consistency, quality, and function is either Wilson Combat's non high ride (model 191B or 192S) or the Cylinder and Slide Ambi.

Kimber parts
King's GunWorks
C&S safety at Brownells
Wilson Safety

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Hobbs. I plan on doing the work myself and am aware that some fitting is required.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks Hobbs. I plan on doing the work myself and am aware that some fitting is required.

In terms of durability, you can't go wrong with the Kings.  Personally, I don't like the profile of it though.  I removed one from my gun as the left side lever protruded up and caught my finger tips when racking the slide.  For a lefty, this likely would not be an issue.

I also have a Kimber safety on a Springfield Operator.  I really prefer the shape and profile of this one.  It is MIM though.  I didn't use to think this was a big issue until I had a CMC one snap on me.  I am not skeptical of all MIM parts, but I know this is probably an unjustified fear.  If it doesn't breat right away, it probably never will.

ETA:  You can never go wrong listening to Hobb's advice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:
Any 1911 ambi is compatible with your gun.  Do you intend to have it professionally installed?  Also, most will have a slight wobble on the left side, and it's common for them to work their way loose.  

There are 3 brands that have either a sear or hammer pin that has a dovetailed protrusion that rides in a dovetail in the right side lever.  These are the Kimber pinned model (part 4100062), Kings, and Mueschke.  My personal preference is for the Kings (part 201A).

Of the non captive type ambi's my personal preference for consistency, quality, and function is either Wilson Combat's non high ride (model 191B or 192S) or the Cylinder and Slide Ambi.

Kimber parts
King's GunWorks
C&S safety at Brownells
Wilson Safety

Welcome back!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]
brownells linky

I don't like the huge extended safeties, or the ones that mount with a tang extending under the right grip panel.  mueschke makes one that I have used a few times, and I think one of the Kings is using that design now.  

Fitment is required at the engagement surface and usually takes less than ten minutes.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the King's, but I've fitted more Ed Brown ambis than anything else, about 14 of them now.

Do yourself a favor and buy a real cheap single sided safety to practice on first.

It helps to remove the thumb safety plunger/spring, and also the beavertail, when you are fitting a thumb safety.

Leaving a bit too much metal on the safety (interference fit) is preferred to taking off a bit too much (safety allows sear to move).

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
brownells linky

I don't like the huge extended safeties, or the ones that mount with a tang extending under the right grip panel.  mueschke makes one that I have used a few times, and I think one of the Kings is using that design now.  

Fitment is required at the engagement surface and usually takes less than ten minutes.  

Thats the one I ordered today from brownells. Price and overall look made me choose it. Thanks for all the help guys. Safety and vz gator thin grips should be here monday-tuesday
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Can the thin grips be used with standard grip screw bushings?  

Some types of thin grips require thin bushings.

If so, you'll also want to get a bushing driver bit.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The thin grips do require the thinner bushings which they sell. I'll post pics when I get them installed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top