Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:19:51 PM EDT
Came across a 1911A1 and I'm trying to figure out if it is a clone or a fake.

On the right side, directly above the grip on the frame it's stamped "United States Property"
serial number is X2200141, and the letters "AMAD" and "RA"

does the RA mean Rock Island arsenal?  Is this thing a fake?  Slide is a GI contrat slide with the 7 digits and a "P" on the top.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#1]
From your discription, you have a genuine USGI pistol.

RIA: Rock Island Arsenal. Found on the receivers of guns rebuilt or inspected at the arsenal.

ANAD/AN: Anniston Army Depot (Anniston, Alabama) observed with a date stamp following it (MM YY) in 1975

SN's 2134404-2244803 belong to Remington Rand

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
check this link out and see if it would be any help to you

www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
RA is Raritan Arsenal, IIRC.  They did lots of small arms depot-level maintenance.  I'm pretty positive I have an M1 in the fun room with an RA stamp on the stock.

I'm curious about the X in front of the serial number.  I don't know about M1911A1s, but on M1 Carbines and Garands, that usually indicated an odd serial number range, like the Springfield serial numbers that Winchester duplicated.  In other words, when Springfield and Win both used the same number, the Win got an X in the S/N to indicate it was a different rifle.

If you find something, make sure to let us know what it was.  I'm seriously curious.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top