Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 4:44:18 PM EDT
please answer my question, local gunsmith wants to charge me 100$
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I use my lathe. It takes me about 30 minutes using 220 grit wet or dry sand paper wrapped around a piece of 3/8 inch wooden dowel for the ID. If he is charging you $100 that is excessive. I charge about $25 or so. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've fit a coupld by hand with various degrees of wet/dry sandpaper, polishing compound and lots of time.

work
fit
work
fit
work
fit
work
fit

etc...........etc.............etc...............etc.......................  

same here, lots of care and time but its rewarding if you get it right the first time.
fitting the barrel is the easy part, cutting the releif cuts arent so easy!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6138&title=1911+AUTO+ANGLE+BORED+BUSHING

i put one of those in my 1911 a little while ago, it was almost a drop in fit, it made a huge diffrence.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
.........like sgb says.....you can work on it while you watch the game on sunday.......
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]
One that I did would have been cheap at $100.  If done by hand it is very time consuming.  If done right, you should need a tool to get it out, and it should lock up tighter than a bank vault.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Most smiths in my neck of the woods charge about $40.  I turn the OD by lathe.  I leave the OD very tight, and then fit the lug.  Once I get it fairly tight by wrench, I find out how tight the person wants it.  If they only want it finger tight, I take a lot of time lapping it in with fine lapping compound.

At this point I use a hand reamer for the ID, and get it super sight, then lap it in.  I the check for barrel springing and make my relief cuts.  All in all, if the bushing is going to be wrench tight, it takes me about an hour.  If it's going to be finger tight, then it takes me about 3 hours.  Either way, I would not charge $100 if I were a professional smith, but maybe your guy is really good and will be doing a lot of work.  It sounds very overpriced to me though.  Heck, I'd send it to 1911builder, as he'll do it right and for a great price.  

By the way Charles, now that I know where you used to work, I've mentioned you to a couple people here in Phoenix.  You really have a great reputation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Hobbs. I appreciate it. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top