Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 3:52:30 PM EDT
 Just wondering what you guys think about these models. I know nothing about the 1911's. But, with alot of reading on here I think I have ruled out Kimber. Still thinking alittle on the Series 70 colts. But, I am pretty sure about getting a Spingfield. LMAO..... I was looking at the TRP, Operator, US 45,  Long Slide, or, Maybe the Mil Spec. Leaning toward the Long Slide and TRP if I can find a good price on one. I do like the longer barrel on the Long Slide. I will Primarily be using this gun for paper and to carry when I am Hunting sometimes. Instead of the Anaconda I have. Thanks for all you input. And all the valuble information everyone has contributed to this sight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
TRP Operator, MC Operator, TRP Pro, or the Mil-Spec or the Loaded Model, or the...Oh hell get one of each!  Seriously any of them are good choices, it just depends on your personal tastes!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
 Yeah I was actaully thinking about 1 US 45, And 1 TRP or Long Slide.  TRP Pro I am not totally convinced that it's worth the extra cash. After looking at the MSRP. But, Still need to talk to my FFL and see what he can gettem for. What's a good Gun Show price on these any Idea??
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my Springers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like my Springers.

That's one reason why I am looking at them rather than the others. If you sit and read for many hours on here, And other sights. People seem to have the least trouble and compliants with them. Although I did read one post were someone was absolutely upset with Springfield. But, As others pionted out it's either a real fluke or operator error. From the days I have spent reading about them. I beleave it must have been error. Like I said there seems to be alot less troubles with them. Just have to decide which to buy. Gun Show this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
SPringfield makes good 1911's period.  I have a older Mil-Spec, a fullsize GI and a Champion GI.  All have been flawless performers.  I could not be happier with their products.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd stay away from the longslide.  Hard to find holsters & parts for, among other things.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.... I seem to buy things that are like that. Want to up grade an item.. Oops no parts. I can rule that one out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
...........colt series 70...............().........actually....if i would go with springfield.....i`d probably get the loaded model......just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a TRP I really like - got it new for $1000 in Dec - guy at the shoip had it sitting there for a year, and he lowered the price - I just sent it off to get refinished (hard chromed).
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#11]
The Loaded Parkerized model is a great piece.  It's the cheapest of the loaded models and has all the nice extras.  Also makes a wonderful platform for customization.  I've put close to 2000 rounds through mine and it's been great.  Couldn't ask for better.  Change out the annoying full length guide rod with an Ed Brown GI rod and plug and it's perfect.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Loaded
or
Milspec

or the higher end models

whatever you do, i would go w/ the full size
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, SGB ain't playing.

He just goes for the throat and recommends the Professional.

If you don't have the coin for a Pro, I suggest you take a look at the Springfield Armory PX9109L. It's the only model that interests me in the SA "Loaded" line. My local dealer has them for $630. It has many features that will be hard to find in other 1911's in this price range. It has; Forged frame & slide, real Novak low mount night sights, real beavertail grip safety, and ambi thumb safety just to name a few.  That’s hard to beat in a $630 1911 and it makes a nice pistol to upgrade later.

My only real "Issue" with it is the SA ILS system, and it can gotten rid of with a $20 MSH. I lighter 19lb. main spring ($20) would not hurt either.

That being said, my Pro w/light rail should be arriving any day now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That being said, my Pro w/light rail should be arriving any day now.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I know I really like the Pro.... I may have to just wait a bit and get that one. Or another full size. Would never buy anything but a full size. I like the 6" barrel of the Long Slide. But, Limited on accesories. And If I start looking in that range. I might just have to go back and look at the Series 70 and RRA Elite Commando. See I just Purchased 2 AR's, 2 National Match Lowers, 2 Nikon Scopes, 1 Leopould, 1 Custom .204 Upper, Browning BAR .270 WSM. Not sure if I dare to buy another gun. I don't want to upset the wife... So, Far she has been great about it. But, I can't get to carried away. Still have to buy a New safe. Out growing the old one. So, what do the Pro's actaully range in the real retail world? (New and used) Looks like I will be off to the Gun Show this weekend. Triing to hold on to the cash as I go.... LOL LOL LOL LOL
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw that one... Almost did it. But, I thought for that kind of cash. I want to see it first. Or, For just alittle more go get a new one. Tough call...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
There was a used pro in the EE for around $1600

I heard you'd sell yours for $900 or so!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:46:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I can't see why someone would pay $1600 for a Springer.  You can have a RRA for that.

Further, can't see why you'd rule out Kimber and look at Springers.  ALL Kimbers are made in USA.  Springers, mostly, are not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Easy, Spend 3 to four 10 hour days reading. Go to all the 1911 boards. And see which has the most compliants. And which has the least. Kimber seems to have alot of issues. I know they are nice guns. But, from my reading Springfield seems less troublesome. RRA and Colt is still a possibilty. But,  If I get to the $2000 range I will have to take another look at RRA. Besides Springfield really seems to stand behind there product.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#26]
i vote all the springers mil-spec and up avoid the GI unless you like getting brass in the eye
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Easy, Spend 3 to four 10 hour days reading. Go to all the 1911 boards. And see which has the most compliants. And which has the least. Kimber seems to have alot of issues. I know they are nice guns. But, from my reading Springfield seems less troublesome. RRA and Colt is still a possibilty. But,  If I get to the $2000 range I will have to take another look at RRA. Besides Springfield really seems to stand behind there product.

Kimbers with external extractors seem to have a rash of problems, but some of them run great.  I have not heard of any problems with internal extractor models.

My Kimber has been flawless.  It's a Series I, internal extractor and cost me $675, about $120 more than a loaded model from Springfield Armory.

I was seriously considering a Springfield, but when I found a Kimber in my price range, it was a no brainer for me.

I really fail to understand the complaints on the internet about Kimber as well...every one I've ever seen in real life and every person I've ever talked to that has owned one IN REAL LIFE has had nothing but praise for their guns.  Para Ordinance on the other hand, I haven't heard hardly anything good in real life about them except for one guy.

Springfield makes a pretty good product, but their less expensive models are not made in usa, and their more expensive models subject them to competition that blows them out of the water.  For a $500 pistol there probably is no better.  For a $1000 pistol I've got my doubts.  At $1500, forget it, there are tons of options out there that I'd rather have over paying $1500 for a pistol from SA, Inc.

I'd really reconsider Kimber.  Like I said, I was in the market for a Springer when I bought mine, and I'm GLAD that I made the choice I made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top