Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 2:18:25 PM EDT
Is it possible to have a full steel guide rod placed in my Springfield Milspec 1911, and if so which one would yall reccomend?  Also, would getting a Wolf Spring System help make the gun a little more accurate?  I recently purchased a Kimber TLE/II and I wanna get the Springfield to perform somewhat close to the capability of the KImber.  Also, I am going to give my Springfield to my godson soon, and I want him to have a quality handgun he can count on when/if he needs it.  Thanks yall
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No reason to. FLGRs were a fad, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No reason to. FLGRs were a fad, nothing more.

+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it possible to have a full steel guide rod placed in my Springfield Milspec 1911, and if so which one would yall reccomend?  Also, would getting a Wolf Spring System help make the gun a little more accurate?  I recently purchased a Kimber TLE/II and I wanna get the Springfield to perform somewhat close to the capability of the KImber.  Also, I am going to give my Springfield to my godson soon, and I want him to have a quality handgun he can count on when/if he needs it.  Thanks yall

There really is no point in the full guide rod, but if you what one Wilson Combat makes good parts.  Wolff springs will not make the gun more accurate.  They will help in overall function.  If the gun in question has a lot of reliability issues then send it back to Springfield Armory (covered by their Lifetime warranty).
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I was gonna say it, but it looks like everyone else already did...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried one (Wilson Combat) in my milspec for awhile it improved nothing, so I removed it and put the original back in. It actual shoots a little smoother now.         YMMV
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
sweet...appreciate yalls imput...the gun shoots smoothly enough...just lookin for ways to upgrade...also there was a thread on here a couple weeks ago about placing a light rail on a 1911 that doesnt have one..i think it was called Yost something?? I wanna get one for my Kimber, can anyonetell me what this product is called again...thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to improve accuracy, you get the biggest bang for your buck by doing the following:

Have a match bushing fit to the barrel and slide.
Have the fit of the barrel checked while they're at it.
Get a trigger job to lighten the pull and eliminate creep.

These steps will, in all likelihood, dramatically increase the practical accuracy of the pistol.  The trigger job won't increase literal accuracy, but it will make it easier to shoot the gun accurately.

Now, the rail you probably heard about was a Dawson rail.  You can find more info at www.dawsonprecision.com.  Once you buy the rail, someone must install it for you (Dawson offers this service as well).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Yost-Bonitz offers a rail similar to the Dawson rail. They are a full custom shop and can handle whatever work you need done. I suggest you check them out.

Yost-Bonitz.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top