Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 3:39:40 PM EDT
In my never ending quest to find info/do homework for my 1911 purchase, I was curious what the holes in the triggers meant. I have looked and cannot find this info anywhere. Why do some 1911's have three hole openings in the trigger, some have two and some have a solid trigger with no holes? The 1911 I am buying will be for CCW, so is there a certain trigger I should lean towards?

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
BASICLY FOR LOOKS.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, it was done to lighten the trigger. Although it has turned into an aesthetic pursuit, there are two ways to lighten a trigger: internally (hollowing out the inside of the trigger), or externally (lateral holes).

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Man you got to be kidding me. I was told a long time ago that it was to signify what type of trigger the gun had.

No holes meant a stock trigger.

2 holes meant an upgraded trigger.

3 holes meant a match grade trigger.

So that was all bullshit?  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought they had holes, so in a pinch you could use 'em in your Ronco pasta machine.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man you got to be kidding me. I was told a long time ago that it was to signify what type of trigger the gun had.

No holes meant a stock trigger.

2 holes meant an upgraded trigger.

3 holes meant a match grade trigger.

So that was all bullshit?  

Sounds like BS to me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
.......b/s for shure....so far the best trigger i`ve used is the wilson ultra lite....costly but worth it...i tried to replace the trigger in my gold cup....but found that in that case..the factory heavy trigger worked the best..for me....in respect for ed brown les bear..and havn`t tried chip mcormicks latest.....but some of the lesser known aftermarkets triggers cannot compare to the wilson.......
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally the holes were used to lighten the trigger.

When you have a good light crisp trigger job you can get the pistol to go full auto fire if the trigger is heavy.  So on competition guns the triggers used are light low weight trigger.

Some people found them "pretty" so they demand the triggers with holes in them.

Today we have better alternate lighter materials that are used for triggers.  So now it's more of a "looks" thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top