Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 5:26:50 PM EDT
I figured I jus ask to see what he consensus is. Ive jus gotten my SA GI .45acp Full size. Ive dumped the ILS with a flat backstrap and got some nice wood grips. What should be my next avenue. I want this for SHTF and to be as reliable as possible. Here is what I was thinking:

1) send off to Wilson Combat to have front dovetailed with front and rear nite sites

2) Extended/longer safty installed.

I dont wanna turn this into a super high dollar moded gun or a race gun, I jus want it to be as practical and reliable as possible. I also want it to shoot any ammo I put into it. I know with ARs if you lighten stuff up (triggers, hammers, etc.) that they wont ignite harder mil. spec or nato primers as well and could get light strikes, I dunno if this same principal falls under 1911s as well.

any other "tuning" ideas.

Also I see the term MIM used alot. I read some stuff on 1911forums about this. How do I know if my SA GI has any of these parts? Are they that bad that ppl replace them instantly? What parts would be MIM on my gun if I had them? Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Think hard about what you ultimately want this pistol to look like and what you are going to do with it. If you are thinking about custom gunsmithing it into a top-flight pistol, then it will be much cheaper and quicker to buy a different gun with all the features you want. In the "old days", custom gunsmithing a basic GI model was the only way to get what you want, but nowadays, with all the factory guns sporting "custom" features, it makes no sense to start with a GI gun.

If you just want a basic carry gun, then the mods you outline make sense. If not already installed, also look at a beavertail grip safety. Lowering the ejection port will also improve reliability (or at least make you less susceptible to a marginal extractor). Lastly, if you are really going to carry this thing, then you may consider refinishing in hard chrome or similar... blue makes a poor choice on a carry gun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
DT:  check out this thread, its got all the info you'll want on MIM, even what parts in your gun are MIM.  MIM facts
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, im on it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
MIM to replace

Hammer
sear
disconnector
slide stop
firing pin stop

Night sites are nice but not necessary.

Have a reputable smith do a reliabilty job and you should be good to go

or

Just sent it to Yost for a #1 package (best buy )

thanks. I read the other threads on this. Seems like a very worthwhile mod.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thanks. I read the other threads on this. Seems like a very worthwhile mod.

You think SGB is a worthwhile mod?  Yeah, he does ok.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks. I read the other threads on this. Seems like a very worthwhile modification.

You think SGB is a worthwhile mod?  Yeah, he does ok.

LoL..well as a mod , yes he does very nicely. But I was meaning to say MODIFICATIONS.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#10]
First thing first is shoot the hell out of it to assess it's out of the box reliability. If you want it for carry I would recommend not getting an extended safety. I have large hands so it's not an issue for me. If you have tiny hands and can't reach the safety properly without shifting your grip you might go there but it's one more thing to get snagged and I think the stock  safeties are fine. If it's 100% reliable out of the box you have the luxury of getting what you want. I think the beavertail safety and lowered/flared ejection ports are sweet and add a measure of reliability. If you have problems with the factory sights then better ones would be a great addition. I always like lots of mags and in my recent experience(and I tried a lot!)buy Wilson they are worth it.Finally and probably the best and most vital piece you will need for it as a carry gun is a good holster. A full size 1911 is a big piece and will need a quality rig to keep it concealed and ready when you intend to carry it in condition 1.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Like it's been said shoot it a lot, you can have it de-horned and all the hard edges smoothed out so it doesn't snag on the draw.  But the BEST thing you can do is know the weapon and PRACTICE tactics, I think it a lot more important than a longer safety, or night sights, etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
send it to yost for the 1* package then post pics!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I figured I jus ask to see what he consensus is. Ive jus gotten my SA GI .45acp Full size. Ive dumped the ILS with a flat backstrap and got some nice wood grips. What should be my next avenue. I want this for SHTF and to be as reliable as possible. Here is what I was thinking:

1) send off to Wilson Combat to have front dovetailed with front and rear nite sites

2) Extended/longer safty installed.

I dont wanna turn this into a super high dollar moded gun or a race gun, I jus want it to be as practical and reliable as possible. I also want it to shoot any ammo I put into it. I know with ARs if you lighten stuff up (triggers, hammers, etc.) that they wont ignite harder mil. spec or nato primers as well and could get light strikes, I dunno if this same principal falls under 1911s as well.

any other "tuning" ideas.

Also I see the term MIM used alot. I read some stuff on 1911forums about this. How do I know if my SA GI has any of these parts? Are they that bad that ppl replace them instantly? What parts would be MIM on my gun if I had them? Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks

Shoot the crap out of it.  If there are any reliability issues, fix those (or send it back to S/A-warranty) first.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top