Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 2:11:26 PM EDT
I'm a new member of our state guard.  Since we're organized as MPs, I need to take the MPFQC in April.  I have a Colt Combat Commander I'm planning to use, but I've only shot it two or three times since I bought it in 1988.  I'd appreciate any info that might help me do well, especially tips for the course (like the mag changes), ammo to practice / qualify with, and advice on shooting with the weak hand.

For those not familiar with the course, here's the outline:

35 meters - prone - 10 rounds in 1 min 45 secs.
25 meters - standing unsupported (weak hand support ok) - 10 rounds in 1 min 45 secs.
25 meters - standing supported at barricade (left hand) - 5 rounds in 45 sec.
25 meters - standing supported at barricade (right hand) - 5 rounds in 45 sec.
15 meters - standing unsupported (no weak hand support) - 5 rounds in 40 secs.
15 meters - kneeling supported at barricade (left hand) - 5 rounds in 40 sec.
15 meters - kneeling supported at barricade (right hand) - 5 rounds in 40 sec.
7 meters - crouch (weak hand support ok) - 5 rounds in 12 secs.

Thanks!

ETA: Here's a pic of the pistol.  From what I can tell it was manufacturered in 1978.  I still have the original grips, trigger and rear sight, so I can return it to stock configuration.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
When I qualify with my unit we have to use the ARMY issue beretta m-9.   You dont need to worry about mag changes its not a timed course like that.   You will fire from each position then move to the next, you will only have the needed rounds for each position.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
FM 19-10 Appendix B discusses time requirements and magazine changes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you qualify with a Commander when the issue pistol is an M-9?  I mean it would be fun and all, but won't change the fact that you would remain non-Qual with your issue weapon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
It's EASY. I qualified [95B] with a POS worn out Rem Rand with no problem. I mean this thing had NO rifling left at all, heck, the ATF coulda probably got it for being a smoothbore. That was at Ft McClellen AL, [I believe it is now closed] I would try to get a psitol that is closer to the duty weapon tho. A Taurus PT 92 or 99 if not a Beretta. Barring those, at least a DA/SA Hi cap. At the time I had very little pistol shooting experience.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why would you qualify with a Commander when the issue pistol is an M-9?  I mean it would be fun and all, but won't change the fact that you would remain non-Qual with your issue weapon.

As a member of the Ohio Military Reserve, the state-funded guard, we provide our own gear.  We don't have issue weapons until we're activated (if the Ohio National Guard is federalized).  Our regulations state, "9mm or .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol of conventional design... are authorized for use for firearms training and qualification."

Since I have a pistol that meets the requirements, and the future of the M9 is uncertain, I'd like to use what I have.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a member of the Ohio Military Reserve, the state-funded guard, we provide our own gear.  We don't have issue weapons until we're activated (if the Ohio National Guard is federalized).  Our regulations state, "9mm or .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol of conventional design... are authorized for use for firearms training and qualification."

Since I have a pistol that meets the requirements, and the future of the M9 is uncertain, I'd like to use what I have.

Oh!  State Guard, I see.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
So let me get this straight. The organization you have joined is the Ohio National Guard. If so then you are correct. You wouldn't have weapons issued to you by the Fed. Gov. you would be issued a weapon for use that is owned by the State of Ohio. At least that is the way the Iowa NG works. If I am wrong and you didn't join the National Guard or the Reserves, I would contact the State and find out if this "milita" is legal.

Not trying to down what your doing, just trying to figure out why you wouldn't be issued a weapon to qual. with.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go hit the range and practice, practice, practice, if I were you. Start indoors and then move outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I am wrong and you didn't join the National Guard or the Reserves, I would contact the State and find out if this "milita" is legal.

I'm not Ohio National Guard, I'm Ohio Military Reserve.  We're the "home guard" or "organized militia" that stands ready in case the OHNG is federalized.  The OHMR serves under the Governor of Ohio as Commander in Chief through the office of the Adjutant General.

About half the states have organized SDFs.  More info on state defence forces can be found at:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Defense_Forces

Since I don't feel like hijacking my own thread, please limit future responses to the MPFQC.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

As for practice, I would suggest going to a range and blasting as much ammo into paper plates as you can. I was qualified on that same course outline post 9/11 as a NG placed in the airport. Out of nearly 100 men and women, none were disqualified due to P/F on the range qual. It really is easy, once you are accurate within a paper plate.

I would also suggest going through your chain to ask about prior experience's.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I hit an indoor range on Sunday and ran through a psuedo practice course.  I couldn't do the prone or standing at the barrier, but was able to shoot 30 of the 50 shots.  I got a 29 using the M9 25 meter target, so I guess I'm doing OK.  My groupings aren't the best, but I'm hitting minute of silhouette.

I was surprised to see my left hand shots are pulling right (I would have expected the opposite).  Also all my shots are 6" above center-mass.  For some reason I put a taller rear sight on the pistol back when I got it, so I'll need to find my factory rear sight and get that back on there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top