Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 6:58:53 PM EDT
Hello, everyone.  So I am loving my new (used, but new to me) SA TRP.  It came with a 2 piece guide rod with a recoil reducer in it, but am debating on going with either a 1 piece FLGR (such as the Wilson Combat) or a standard GI setup.  I know the merits of each are a source of constant ongoing debate and i have read a lot about it.  I am sure either will function fine, but part of the deciding factore for me will be how the 1 piece solid guide rod can be pushed back to allow the bushing to turn for field stripping.  If it is solid and 1 piece full length, how can it be pushed in enough to allow the bushing to turn?  Also, where is a good place to pick up a stainless 1 piece guide rod and bushing and a G.I. style guide rod and bushing.  Maybe i will buy both and sell the one I like least!  Thanks for helping a 1911 noob.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
For the one piece solid g/r the recoil spring extends beyond the g/r and is compressed by the plunger and secured by the barrel bushing.  By using a bushing wrench this compresses the plunger and spring just enough to rotate the barrel bushing allowing for take-down.  A good place to find either style of g/r set-up would be Brownell's.com or MidwayUSA.com.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Another way a lot of 1 piece guide rods work, is that they have a hole in them that is visible when the slide is locked back.  You lock the slide open, insert a bent nail/paper clip/wire into the hole, let the slide slowly go forawrd.  The nail prevents the plug from moving foward to the end of the guide rod but allows the slide to move.

In essence, this gives you a captured recoil spring once top end is removed from the frame.  To remove the spring you must further depress the plug & spring, remove the nail/clip, then ease the plug off the guide rod, all without shooting the spring across the room, slipping and jabbing yourself in the hand, swearing & cussing until your wife walks in wondering what's going on....

YMMV, but 1 piece guide rods SUCK!!! (IMO of course)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys.  That makes it much clearer.  Just based on that, I think as G.I. style traditional guide rod will be the way I go!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top