Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 3:21:30 PM EDT
Hey all,
First off, I posted this on LTW and the 1911 forum, so if you saw it there, no need to read on.

Well, last week I picked up two 1911's, a new Colt 70 and a SA "G.I.". Now, I plan on eventually having both of 'em worked on into "retro-ish" 1911's. I love the clean lines etc. Hammer bite isn't an issue for me, so that means I can keep the traditional grip safety (which IMHO is a bonus). Today, while fondling my two new toys, I noticed something disturbing on the SA. While gripping with my usual grip (high thumb "riding" the safety, left thumb along side of frame pointing forward) I noticed that unless I was realllllly careful, I wouldn't disengage the grip safety. When it was disengaged, it still felt sort of "half assed" because sometimes I'd feel a "drag" during the trigger pull, telling me it was just barely disengaged.  I tried this on the Colt 70 I bought last year (it came with a flat MSH) and the problem wasn't quite as bad, but I did notice that I could feel something "drag" on it while pulling the trigger. I just tried it now with the new 70 (that came with an arched MSH like the SA) and it's better than either. That has me really confused. Could the trigger length have to do with this? I believe the Colt has a longer trigger than the "GI". Is there anything that can be done to keep the "stock" grip safety, yet make it disengage more positively (short of adding a "speedbump")? Would a high gripped front strap help this or make it worse?

Thanks so much
Rich
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The guys at LTW and 1911forum answered the question for me.  Apparently, it's an easy fix.  WOOOOOHOOOOOO

rich
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Well don't hold out on us!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs to adjust the bottom of the grip safety tab to allow it to clear the trigger transfer bar correctly/sooner as the safety is depressed into the frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top