Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 6:57:37 AM EDT
Anyone got a pic of a 1911 wearing 'em?   I'm setting up my Colt Series 70 "repro" for CCW and want to add night sights.   Here's the "rub", though.......I'm trying not to spoil the "retro look" of the pistol, if that makes any sence to y'all.  So far, I've added a Wilson "drop-in" beavertail (simply because my big "mitts", combined with a high thumb grip chew the web of my hand ), a "nos" Colt "commander" hammer to match the beavertail (was still in it's 70's vintage blister pack!) and a vintage Videki trigger.  I was looking to add Yost's "retro" sights to complete the look.....but would really like night sights for CCW carry.

Any oppinions/ideas?

Thanks all.......................
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Look at some of the Kimber pistols with night sights.  Kimber is the US importer for Meprolight.

I understand what you're trying to do.  Still, I advocate in those situations having more than one gun.  I try to make the gun fit the job I'm doing with it, and for carry, a lot of the "retro" kinds of things just don't work for me.

Mostly, you'll have to be happy with the gun, though, so my advice is worth what you paid for it!  

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I put these on a couple months back.

They use the existing dovetail and front sight tenon hole

They seem to get the  job done.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
ken, what part number are those sights?    The rear looks different than what I've seen in other places....

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#4]
This is one photo I've found thats "suposedly" Meprolights for a 1911....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/B00077D7XS.01-A1V1Z4BJNVFJUK._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

glock sights
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ken, what part number are those sights?    The rear looks different than what I've seen in other places....

387-304-776  at Brownell's

more photos:

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

glock sights

LOL....yeap.  That's the big problem I'm running in to.  They take any-old, generic pic of "some" sights they offer, then list a butt-load of pistols they make 'em for (with no "actual" pic of that particular product).
Shame........I was liking that rear sight.   It reminded me of the "stock" rear sight of a 1911(in general shape/size).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anyone got a pic of a 1911 wearing 'em?   I'm setting up my Colt Series 70 "repro" for CCW and want to add night sights.   Here's the "rub", though.......I'm trying not to spoil the "retro look" of the pistol, if that makes any sence to y'all.  So far, I've added a Wilson "drop-in" beavertail (simply because my big "mitts", combined with a high thumb grip chew the web of my hand ), a "nos" Colt "commander" hammer to match the beavertail (was still in it's 70's vintage blister pack!) and a vintage Videki trigger.  I was looking to add Yost's "retro" sights to complete the look.....but would really like night sights for CCW carry.

Any oppinions/ideas?

Thanks all.......................

Here's a pic of my Kimber TLEII.  I changed out the rear with a Novak and kept the Meprolight front sight.

Also, check out Wilson Combat's "Nite-Eyes" they have a retro look similar to Ken Mayes Pic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of my Kimber TLEII.  I changed out the rear with a Novak and kept the Meprolight front sight.

I like that - did it change the point of impact significantly when you swapped to the Novak rear sight?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that - did it change the point of impact significantly when you swapped to the Novak rear sight?

No.  I called Novak and asked if there would be any difference and they said it would be fine.  If anything I am more accurate with this set up.  I only have one dot to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Senor Benelli,

I was poking around and found some sights that might be more what you are looking for.  Check www.trijicon.com for their sights for Colts.  They appear to be just like the photo you had up top.

Brownell's has them as well as Trijicon, and if you get the Brownell's secret squirrel discount, it makes a big difference.

Hope this helps!

kk7sm
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I had a set of those on my Browning HP for MANY, MANY YEARS....in fact they finally burned out this year.....sadly, it seems the dual color aren't made for the HP anymore....and I swear by the dual color....no confusion on the dot's at night.

I thought that those were the Wilson Nite Eyes, though...but it has been so damn long I don't remember....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a kimber with meprolight sights.  They are bright ad big, however I prefer my other kimber with Novak sights and trijicon inserts.  The latter presents a much more 'crisp' sight picture for lack of a better word.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top