Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 3:48:26 PM EDT
Hello all, I don't know if you have read my other threads, but I have been having problems with my Mil-spec 1911A1 with failure to feeds. It has been happening off and on throughout the life of my pistol (I bought it new a couple of years ago, and it has approx. 1500 rounds down the pipe)
Anyway, it appears that the rounds are hanging up under the extractor when feeding, (Even with 230 grain ball ammo) and after discussion in another post, I decided to order a  Wilson Combat bullet proof extractor to help solve my reliability issues.

Well I started thinking today, and looking hard at my used brass for clues, and this is what I noticed...

As you can see, all my brass appears "blackened" on one side. Some are worse than others, but nearly all have the discoloration on the outside of the case, and it is primarily on one side. I am wondering if this means that my recoil spring is too weak, and the slide is opening up too early?? Or does someone else see something I don't?
I know I have a problem with my extractor as I have witnessed it hang while the rim goes under the extractor when cycling rounds through by hand. I am just wondering if my spring is too weak, and this might be compounding my problem.

Any 1911 guru's out there that can offer some insight?? I love the feel and trigger on the gun, and it hits dead on. I would hate to have to trade it in on a Glock!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen quite a few guns blacken brass that way....and I have never pursued the reason why.....I probably should, just for the sake of knowing.

Now, as far as your extractor goes....you'll really like the Bulletproof.....just follow the instructions and you'll be good to go.

I would definitely switch to an 18.5 lb Wolff recoil spring.  It soaks up quite a bit of recoil and makes the gun a bit snappier.  You'll like that, too.

Good luck with everything.......
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

As you can see, all my brass appears "blackened" on one side.

The loaded .45acp round is smaller than the diameter of the barrels chamber. The cartridge rests in the bottom of the chamber with the difference in the diameters resulting in a miniscule gap between the upper portion of the cartridge and the top of the chamber.

When the cartridge is detonated it swells to fit the chamber as the bullet is driven down the barrel. The blackening is the result escaping/burning gas enveloping the upper portion of the cartridge case as it expands to seal the chamber.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

Perfectly.....thanks for the explanation.  I feel kinda silly for not ever realizing that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The blacked cases you have are not abnormal in a properly working 1911
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]

My fired brass is the same.  A person at the range explained it the same way as posted above.  If you fit a new cartridge in the barrel chamber you will notice that there is just the slighest amount of play.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that gas would escape into the chamber before the brass expanded and sealed. I guess that's what messed me up.

Also, by looking at spent brass on the range from other .45's, it looked nice and shiney as new. That makes it easy to spot mine after I finish firing and collect my spent brass. I'm glad to hear that it's normal.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top