Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:04:01 PM EDT
I think I would like a small of the back holster..I've never carried a 1911,  so i need help bad finding a comfortable holster..Thanks for any help in advance..
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
most would not suggest a SOB holster (falling on your rear and breaking your tail bone problem...)

how about a leather pancake holster ?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=24310

i personally use comptac kydex IWB/belt holster at 4oclock
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
     As already mentioned, SOB's are not very popular due to the potential for injury.  I do have one, a Galco SOB.  It is a decent holster and is readily available.  I found the quality good, the problem was it was damn uncomfortable most of the time.  SOB carry worked ok for me if I was going to be in a car all day, or knew I could avoid any hard backed seating surface, but the first time you go out to eat and sit in a hard wooden chair, you'll get tired of SOB quick!  

I've also come to be a big believer in muscle memory.  I always carry on my left hip (lefty shooter).  I will go from pancakes to IWB's, but always on the same place on my left hip.  I want to know the gun is where its supposed to be.  

If you want to try SOB, get a Galco and see if it works better for you.  If you've been talked out of it, don't feel bad.  It really isn't an ideal way to carry.

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You definitely don't want to carry a 1911 in an SOB holster.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay away from SOB holsters.  They're spine-busters.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
No SOB....get a Fobus. (Flame suit on)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
VMII
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
VMII inbound, thanks..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I am very pleased with my Galco holsters.  Combat Master for the belt and a Miami Classic Shoulder rig.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Galco Gunsite for my 1911, very quick. also like the Askins Avenger style.
Take a look at the Texas Strong Side from Kirkpatrick leather.
They are a real nice holster for the money.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
VMII inbound, thanks..

Smart move.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
 There's definitely a reason why your local Galco dealer has nothing but SOBs left on the shelf...and it isn't Galco quality....it's the fact that the SOB is AN S.O.B. when it comes to your back.

I suggest going with the Glaco FLETCH ( I am wearing one now ) or ( if your in a cold area ( oddly ) the Galco Phoenix.  The Phoenix is better if you are weaing a coat and the FLETCH is better for long shirts or light jackets.

REMEMBER TO GET A STIFF, HIGH QUALITY BELT!!!!!!!!!

also, tight holsters like the FLETCH require break in time......
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
+1000 on a good quality, lined, stiff belt, I have a source for them for around 30.00 to 40.00 if you IM me,,i have his website on my home computer..anyone else for that matter..
+1 on all the quality holsters mentioned,
I would like to confirm on the texas strong side also..
and offer you look for wild bills leather, and Tucker on line also..I have all 3 and hard to choose between them,,the texas strong and wild bills are VERY similar..both hug closest to the body and have a great port of arms when positioned to your comfort level..
run away from SOB holsters anybodys..I took a fall while carrying one several years ago and chipped a vertebra....strong advise against..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]
So has anyone ever seen, read or heard about anyone breaking their tailbone or paralyzing themselves from falling on their gun........or is this just folk-lore that gets handed down.  I have never heard of such a thing happening.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So has anyone ever seen, read or heard about anyone breaking their tailbone or paralyzing themselves from falling on their gun........or is this just folk-lore that gets handed down.  I have never heard of such a thing happening.

read the end of douglasmorris's post.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
VMII inbound, thanks..

You will not be disappointed!

I always carried my G19 in a kydex holster but Lumpy insisted that I try a VMII when I started carrying a 1911. I couldn't believe how well it carried, how well it concealed (and I'm not a big guy) and how comfortable it is.

Heck, I even bought a VMII for my G19 but I hardly ever carry the Glock these days.

I usually carry my 1911 in my VMII 10 hours a day and I have ZERO complaints
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]
You would be hard pressed to find better than a Versa Max, a Summer Special, an Alessi DOJ, or Del-Fatti.
I have a DOJ and Summer Special.  They are the standard IMO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#18]
For carry of full sized 1911s I recommend the Milt Sparks VersaMax II or VMII in horsehide.  I carry mine this way and they're very compfortable and the way to go.  I think ADCO has them now which would avoid the usual several month wait if you order direct from Sparks.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Asking for advice on a comfortable holster is like asking a stranger how to please your girl in bed. You will get lots of opinions but ultimately you just have to figure it out on your own. Personally I went through 5 or 6 different ones before settling on a Milt Sparks IWB SS II. Between me and my CCW buddies we could fill several grocery sacks with holsters and various carry items. Pick a quality one and try it. Wear it around the house for a while before you march out in to public with it. If you're like most people it will take several tries to find one you like.

This is just my opinion of course.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#20]
just picked up the VM2 for my colt govt. I love it. Just need to break it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top