Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 4:03:57 PM EDT
I just got back from the range to try out my new SA TRP.

So let's see, it's a "Tactical Response Pistol" (I know it's just a name but bare with me), it's supposedly the slightly less tricked up pistol that the FBI uses so it's a field issue type weapon and it has Novak low carry night sights which assumes you're going to use this thing as a personal defense firearm.

So why on God's green Earth do you give it a 6 o'clock POA?

Shit.

Had I done a little more research and learned this ahead of time, I'd have just gone and done a custom.  But no, I'm an impatient mofo and wanted it for Christmas....dumbass.

So what are my options for correcting this?  I want point of aim, not 6 o'clock so I have to lower the POI.  Therefore, the way I see it, I can either raise the front sight or lower the rear...right?  Is this something that can be corrected or am I screwed because this is a stock set of sights and SA has machined the slide in a way to force this POA?

I know I'm being picky but to have to think "aim low" every time I pick the thing up, it's going to bug me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
No his gun is shooting high  , what range is it shooting high at and by how much though?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya couldn't read the online manual BEFORE you bought a $ 1500 GUN

Theres a zillion places to get a different front sight , heres one

www.novaksights.com/
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My preference is that POA should be the same as POI at 25 yards with the ammo I carry. Most people I know feel generally the same way about a carry gun.

How far above POA are the rounds impacting, and at what distance?
And what ammo are you using? A slower, heavier bullet will tend to impact higher. Just how much higher depends a lot on you as well as on the round you are shooting.
And are you benching the gun or firing offhand? That makes a difference.
I presume your shooting skills are capable of testing its accuracy....?
Is it shooting a really tight group, or does it need some settling in? If the latter, the POI may change a bit with more break-in.

Sorry I can't feel your pain, because I'm one of those strange people that think a carry gun can wear Bomars and be just fine for serious work, thank you very much.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe it's just the way I use the sights, but every handgun I've ever owned came sighted in for 6 O' clock POA.  I usually shoot between 7-15 yards and I cover my target with the front sight.  The POI is close enough for me.  I can't aim with the front sight at 6.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Lately a lot of Springfield pistols have been shooting low or high.  Contact Springfield, tell them the problem and they will either send you a new front or rear sight (if you can install it yourself), or you can send them the slide and they will fix it for you, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ya couldn't read the online manual BEFORE you bought a $ 1500 GUN

Theres a zillion places to get a different front sight , heres one

www.novaksights.com/

The info about POA is at the very end of the manual after the parts diagrams and such, I never got that far, sorry.  

It comes with Novaks, there are no options (that I see) on Novak's site that allow for an adjustment in POA.  They're all just drop ins (except obviously the adjustable ones)

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#10]
With regards to the rest of everyone's questions, this was with WWB 230 grain at 25yds.  I realize that it's not broken in completely yet until I clean it and run at least another couple hundred through it.  However it felt high while shooting so I sat down and rested two mags then did a mag with my 5906 the same way.  

While I definately need to relax more, get a better grip and learn better trigger control I think the group I got (crowd would be a more appropriate word, I know I need to get out and shoot more) shows it's high.  This was done aiming at the center dot (and please ignore the fact this is not the appropriate 25yd pistol target, it's all I had), resting on the bench while sitting.

The cluster of three to the slight left is about 5 1/2" high off the bull.  

Suggestions have been to get a taller FSP, but I don't see on any of the manufacturer's sites the ability to get different heights made.  I think I'd rather get a lower rear sight.  It just seems to me, why get something that is going to stick further out to give a better opportunity to get snagged?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Where is it printing at 15 yards?  Lots of guys I know prefer to have their 45's dead on at 15 and this has them pretty close at 50 yards.  Depends of the gun and loads of course but this is usually a good rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I would suggest shooting it on paper at 7 and 15 yards see where it is on there 25 yards is a long deffensive shot so see how it works at 7
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It comes with Novaks, there are no options (that I see) on Novak's site that allow for an adjustment in POA.  They're all just drop ins (except obviously the adjustable ones)

Springfield would either send you (or install) a new front or rear sight which fits the dovetail cut in your slide, and the new front or rear sight would either be higher or lower, changing your POI.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would suggest shooting it on paper at 7 and 15 yards see where it is on there 25 yards is a long deffensive shot so see how it works at 7

That's actually a very good point.

hrt4me - Before I talk to Springfield, I'll make another range trip with a couple of other rounds and see how much difference there is with other manufacturers and different yardages.  Then decide if I want to bring POA down.

I suppose I'm just a bit thrown off since my only other pistol is in the black at that range.  To me it just makes sense to have them in the same POA area.  I'll probably talk to them just knowing it'll bother me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Shoot it some more ....my SA is 6oclock @25 yards and poa @ 7-15 ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top