Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 12:27:25 PM EDT

I've got a Kimber Pro Carry and a five inch SA. Put them side by side and the only size difference is the barrel which would be in a IWB holster any way. So why the shorter barrel? Makes it kick harder and a little less accurate?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget less muzzle-velocity!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
easier to conceal (ankle maybe)/feels better to conceal (get a holster made for it), slightly faster to draw, more compact

h/w, if you get a shortened bbl, you might as well get the shortened grip...

disadvantages: lots of muzzle vel lost, usually reliablility problems, shorter sight radius too
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
For a CCW gun, the pro carry works great.  

Tacoma PD has about 125 of these in the field as duty guns for 5 or so years now with excellent results.

Shorter sight radius - a little harder for precision shooting, but it's a CCW gun for use at closer distances, not a bullseye match.

A little more kick due to reduced slide mass and alloy frame.

The 4" guns can be just as accurate at the 5" guns, just a little harder to aim.

There is a velocity loss, but not enough to matter for the intended purpose

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
They do for the smiths one would think...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my old Colt officers .45.  I think it was fourth hangun I bought prob. 14 years ago.  I've put a lot of rounds through the 3.5" barrel

It loves 185 gr LSWC handloads.  But has always fed everything (JHP's of several styles) w/no throat mods. at all

do recommend Wilson guide rod and change springs way more often than 5" guns.  I'm on my second rod.  Guide plug was cracking on first.  But never failed in gun.  Replaced when I noticed wear

But my .40 babyglock 27 blows her away.  Still love her, but can't believe it... (and she takes 9, 15, 20 & 23 round mags 100% reliability)

I've broken a slide stop from slamming full length mags into officer's model.  No big deal, gun still worked.  empty mag would not lock back slide till I installed wilson part

glock more accurate, and is tiny, tiny.  I'm happy w/ officer's, but I used to laugh at Glocks, now I got 3 in .40

but would never sell officers model either
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate IWB so a shorter barrel is a big plus for my belt holster plus the weight savings.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Kimber Pro Carry II (4" 1911).  I originally bought the shorter gun for CCW reasons - easier to conceal.

Recently I decided I needed a new holster......and the one I came across and fell in love with was a Ross Gun Leather.  The only had it in 5" where I was so I bought it.

Basically Im now carrying a 4" gun in a 5" holster - might as well have a full size gun ehh??

But its lighter (alot lighter) and its been a damn reliable gun - NEVER a failure.

I suppose even though its a 4" gun in a 5" holster I still have a little bet easier draw, 1" of gun I dont have to clear holster on the draw.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a Spring. Ultra Compact for a few years now.  I can hit the NRA pistol target at 50' without a problem and it has never failed to function.  A lot easier to conceal than a full size or commander.  I am very happy with this compact .45 pistol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#9]
My Defender is MUCH easier to CCW then a full size govt model. Lighter, prints less and has the same ammo capacity. You do not lose all that much speed in .45acp and I doubt if a criminal would tell himself he is fine because the bullet was going 50FPS slower. One also has to look at seasons and carry. Hell, I could carry a .454 Casull SRH in the winter but I doubt I could get away with a Govt model in the summer wearing a t shirt and shorts. The Defender WILL fit nicely in the shorts in a specially sewn in holster. Uh, heres my money clip Mr knify guy..............
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
IMHO , my 4" SA Champion is optimal (performance vs lighter/smaller )
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Or you could always get a SW1911PD in 4 1/4".  Even lighter :D  (Or Colt/SA's lightweight offerings)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or you could always get a SW1911PD in 4 1/4".  Even lighter :D  (Or Colt/SA's lightweight offerings)

+1

my buddy's SW 1911sc feels better to carry than my SA champion
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Barrel length doesn't influence accuracy as much as it influences velocity.  Sight radius is what affects accuracy, along with shooter error and skill.  It's simply harder to shoot the smaller guns because any mistakes you make will be magnified.  In terms of inherent accuracy, though, you would be hard-pressed to tell a short-barreled pistol from a pistol with a standard barrel, except at longer ranges, and that's due to decreased velocity.  It's a common misperception that barrel length directly defines accuracy by itself without considering other factors, such as velocity/distance, ammo type and shooter technique.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My Defender is MUCH easier to CCW then a full size govt model. Lighter, prints less and has the same ammo capacity. You do not lose all that much speed in .45acp and I doubt if a criminal would tell himself he is fine because the bullet was going 50FPS slower. One also has to look at seasons and carry. Hell, I could carry a .454 Casull SRH in the winter but I doubt I could get away with a Govt model in the summer wearing a t shirt and shorts. The Defender WILL fit nicely in the shorts in a specially sewn in holster. Uh, heres my money clip Mr knify guy..............

It begins to matter when you reach the point that JHP rounds consistently will not expand because they simply can't be pushed fast enough out of a shorter barrel. THEN, it really begins to matter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It begins to matter when you reach the point that JHP rounds consistently will not expand because they simply can't be pushed fast enough out of a shorter barrel. THEN, it really begins to matter.

Very true. However most of the newer self defense ammo has a pretty good window in which it can work. 50fps is usually within that window, especially since the range for self defense is usually less then 20 feet. [I'm being generous here]

One reason I go with .45 in the winter is the amount of clothing can clog ANY bullet design and a .45 will remain a .45 when that happens. I always figure at least a shirt, sweater or sweatshirt and a winter jacket, possibly consisting of either leather or mul layers of cloth. Very hard on ANY HP design to work properly if clogged with fibers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]
.....make sense?   Why what are yours  saying?     Sorry...it's just sort of one of those days.

I currently own 4" & 5" Kimbers.   I carry my 4" SS compact in a Milt Sparks SS II, IWB
The shorter grip is easier for me to comfortably conceal.  I am still not a bit fan of the newer BOB tails.

The 4" barrel and slide is a good compromise for me.
The shorter slides tend to dig into my side and the longer slides are uncomfortable for me when I sit.

I have learned over the years that the shorter 1911, if done right, are just as accurate as the 5"ers.

I have never really bought into all of the slightly less velocity thing either.

Hell I like em all......But after seeing Pistolwrenches latest creation in another thread I am fighting with a major chub...that is making plans to hit the range tomorrow to release some tension.
And I had other plans.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
IMHO , my 4" SA Champion is optimal (performance vs lighter/smaller ) hr

I gotta give a +1 for the SA Champion.  I got the SA GI model Champion and I love it!  It's not a lightweight (I'm not too fond of those alloy framess) but I love it, the weight is fine for me and this psitol has never let me down.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#19]
My Stainless Officers ACP was the first centerfire pistol I purchased. It is still my #1 gun with nary a failure in the last 16 years. I like short.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My Stainless Officers ACP was the first centerfire pistol I purchased. It is still my #1 gun with nary a failure in the last 16 years. I like short.

img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/45s.jpg

She's a beaut. I need a Colt real bad.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#21]
wow moderator sgb.that 1911 looks so good matte ss slide,(polished nichel/hardchrome?)stag stocks set it off as a class act.not the leastbit overdone.very nice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#22]
This Colt is my CCW . It's light, reasonably accurate and easy to conceal. It makes sense for me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top