Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 10:53:42 AM EDT
Of the SW1911, Kimber Stainless II, and Springfield Loaded, which one of these three 1911's is going to be the most reliable out of the box?

I know that all three are very nice guns and all fit into my price range.  I'm just trying to decide which of these three is the most reliable, because reliability is my #1 priority.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the SW1911 first and then the Springfield. I don't touch Series 2 Kimbers...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
ooops.  delete my post please.
too many windows open, replied to wrong thread.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Accord, it's whichever works best for you. Seeing, however, that we can't "try before we buy" most of the time (dammit!), I personally would take the Springfield first, due to my extremely good fortune with them, then the SW, due to my good experiences with their other pistols, and lastly the Kimber. Don't get me wrong, Kimber's are nice, but mostly they are shiny and expensive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, Kimber would be the best, Springfield second and well....

I have no idea why S&W even bothered to enter into the 1911 market as if it weren't saturated enough.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My series 2 Kimber has yet to malf.

I had a springfield milspec operator that I had a few issues with, and a springfield loaded that gave me some issues as well.

However, my buddy's loaded operator ran just fine.  

No idea about SW.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say Kimber first and then Sprigfield. I would get one with out the firing pin safety(like the warrior) and a internal extractor. SW is not an option IMHO
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Do yourself a favor and strongly consider the Smith and Wesson.
I am not a fan of external extractors on a 1911, but everything I've heard about the S&W has been favorable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you'll find as time goes on that the S&W 1911s will gain in popularity.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W seems to produce a decent gun, I don't care for the non 1911 parts in it.  Makes it harder to maintain when you already have a bunch of 1911s, parts, and tools.  Have yet to hear of S&W having external extractor problems, perhaps because of their experience with this in their other guns?

SA = lots of MIM, ILS is easily changed out, good warranty service, no f. pin block, QC is lacking at times.

Kimber = lots of MIM, external extrtactor to be avoided until they get it right consistently, QC good, warranty service good, series II can require "extra positive engagement" on the grip safety.

All 3 makes have pros and cons.  I'd try to find either a 25th anniversary kimber (it's a series 1), or get in on Hilton Yam's limited run of series 1 Kimbers

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=12899&an=0&page=0#12899

Of the SW1911, Kimber Stainless II, and Springfield Loaded, which one of these three 1911's is going to be the most reliable out of the box?

I know that all three are very nice guns and all fit into my price range. I'm just trying to decide which of these three is the most reliable, because reliability is my #1 priority.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
i have a springfield loaded operator (full rail) that i bought after agonizing over a choice between it and the SW. i choose the springfield because at the time the SWs were an unknown quantity.  my operator exhibits rediculous accuracy. it outshoots both of my custom 1911s. one built but a retired 2112 and the other from a big name custom 1911 guru.

maybe i just got lucky.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay...up front I own a SW and a Springfield and have used both on and off duty.  I can say two things: 1- after 1000s of rounds, I would trust either of these out of the box (but still suggest running any new weapon through a proving phase).  I have just recent switched to the SW primarilly for weight (you carry 24 hours for weeks at a time, a few ounces actually does help).
2- my best friend just borrowed my Springfield the other day while we were at the range...his Kimber was back in the shop, and I don't share the SW easilly.
Just MHO
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I've with my S&W is that it won't eject a fired case without a magazine in place.  This means that the ejection of a fired case is partially caused by the rounds and/or follower in the magazine.  Has anybody else experienced this?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#15]
For a $100 more you could get a Colt XSE.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One thing I've with my S&W is that it won't eject a fired case without a magazine in place.  This means that the ejection of a fired case is partially caused by the rounds and/or follower in the magazine.  Has anybody else experienced this?

Interesting.  Your gun has an extended ejector, right?  What is happening to the case?  Is it falling into the magwell, is it staying in the chamber, or is it getting stuck between the slide's breechface and barrel hood?

I've found that the cases will usually fall out the mag well.  I've had one or two that have gotten caught between the hood and breechface.  I've not had any problems with extraction, just ejection.

I do notice that the S&W extractor is thinner and sits higher in the breechface than a "traditional" 1911.  It looks to me like the extractor is holding the rim at about the 10:00 position when the barrel is unlocked.  I've got a Caspian external extractor pistol and it has a wider extractor that sits a little lower.  It holds cases at the 9:00 and extracts and ejects without a magazine like it.  

I first became aware of this while trying to figure out why my Armscor 1911 would always stovepipe when I used an 8-round magazine or a magazine with a flat follower.  Turned out the Armscor gun was out of spec and the extractor was too high in the breechface.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I vote Springfieldhavehttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/DSCF0004.jpg
16 rounds at 20yards. Mod Weaver.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#19]
5 Kimbers.   All stock.   2 are series I, 3 are series II.   2 have external extractors, 3 have internal.

ALL - very reliable, bone stock.   Wilson 47D mags

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I own two Kimbers and a Para and I would take the springfield loaded at this point.  I can't stomach an external extractor on a 1911.  It is perfectly functional, but it just looks wrong.  Both kimbers are older models prior to Kimber's decision to go to the external extractor.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 for the Kimbers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top