Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 1:08:30 PM EDT
Anyone have one? Opinions? Range reports???

I carry an Officers, but have been thinking about one a little shorter. I fondled one of the Kimbers at the store the other day, I am leaning towards a Springfiled though

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
1911s shorter than 4" are not as reliable due to:

slide has less travel - imp. for feeding
timing/cycle of operations is accelerated
heavy springs to compensate for reduced slide mass

Stick to Commander/ProCarry size, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I thought the Colt Officers 45 was already a 3.5" gun?

Wow. You made me go measure, and Im glad I did. I incorrectly always thought this was a 4", it is indeed a 3.5", so now I am guessing I want a 3"

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
1911s shorter than 4" are not as reliable due to:

slide has less travel - imp. for feeding
timing/cycle of operations is accelerated
heavy springs to compensate for reduced slide mass

Stick to Commander/ProCarry size, IMO.

As I said above, I thought[/i[ my Officers was a 4", but I have never had any problems with it at all. Good ammo and good mags.....runs like a champ.

But Im not sure about a 3" one.........man.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't waste your money.
I had a Springfield Loaded OD Green Lightweight Micro Compact (say that ten times fast).
Sold it and went back to carrying my Colt Officers LW.

The 3" barrel really doesn't help more than the 3.5 with concealment and makes the gun feel like it wanted to pop out of my holster. Too much weight in the butt and no barrel length to hold it.
It had about the same recoil and reliability as the Officers.

The only advantage to the shorter barrel IMO is if you carry your gun in a horizontal shoulder rig, then I would recommend the Colt Defender as it is the most reliable of the under 4" BBL guns.

My next 1911 will be a CCO. The grip is the hard part for me to hide as I'm 5'7 and 140lbs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the CCO set up most.

You have a Commanders Slide (4.25)
and you have the officers frame.  

I am sending both of my CCO sized pieces off to have a radius (pseudo bobtail) done to both of them and replacing both MSH with smooth ones or I might have them scallop or chain them instead of stippleing them.  For CCW the checkering is just going to catch on clothes.

Is that the Mini Cop above?  If so whats it shoot?  I know they were going to make one in .410 years ago, that would be a little powerhouse!  If I recall the barrels rotate?  Or is that one where the firing pin rotates (I think I recall the one that had a rotating firing pin was prone to problems)

If you are set on a 3 in there is a very nice Colt Deferender someone is selling in the EE, Email me if you want me to find the ad for you as I have it bookmarked, I was really considering it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Men quite often think thier barrel is longer than it actually measures. Usually though thier final goal is to end up with a longer barrel not a shorter one.

I really can't see an extra half inch shorter really having an advantage for CCW over the Officers.

If you want something compact with a bite go for one of these.

myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/cop.jpg

OK, I'll bite. WTF is that and in what Caliber?
I thought the Rohrbaugh was the smallest full caiber auto (9mm) but that thing looks smaller.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Men quite often think thier barrel is longer than it actually measures. Usually though thier final goal is to end up with a longer barrel not a shorter one.

I really can't see an extra half inch shorter really having an advantage for CCW over the Officers.

If you want something compact with a bite go for one of these.

myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/cop.jpg

OK, I'll bite. WTF is that and in what Caliber?
I thought the Rohrbaugh was the smallest full caiber auto (9mm) but that thing looks smaller.

that is a Semmerling,,,wish I had bought one when i could, great little gun, 4 shots, very slick.
very concealable..
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
in the late 80's or early 90's Derringer was going to make a Mini Cop like that which was going to come in 357 and also another in .410.
I do not know if the 410 ever came out, but it sounded like a neat little gizmo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top