Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 4:44:35 AM EDT
reliability is the FIRST AND FOREMOST CONCERN.  a close second is... reliability.  third concern is accuracy.

I cannot stress how much I care about reliaiblity.  Is it too much to ask that she go bang every time!

I want a light short trigger, checkering on front strap, nice mag well, ed brown type grip safety - from there, most options are open.

Want it new.

What should I get?

ETA: must be hi-cut front strap too.  I can't stand SA grips cause of that.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a Kimber Warrior, and then add the magwell and checkering. They are some of the most reliable 1911's out there right now. I have one with over 800 rounds through it and the thing has worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Try a Kimber Warrior, and then add the magwell and checkering. They are some of the most reliable 1911's out there right now. I have one with over 800 rounds through it and the thing has worked perfectly.

over budget.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]
You seem to be describing a Springfield TRP (give or take a couple huindred dollars), but you don't like SAs.

Well you've got me, then. I don't recall anything coming out of any factory for a grand with all of that. Best guess: Kimber TLE or TLE/RL. The new ones are supposedly shipping with internal extractors again, right? Give up the grip safety for checkering, it's a fair trade. A Warrior if you decide the grip safety is more important. Incidentally, I have a buddy in Va Beach who's looking to sell his TLE/RL, but it's the external extractor model (no probs with his nor mine). The price he's asking, you could send it off and get the Brown grip safety added for less than the Warrior is new out of the box. IM me if you're interested.

The TRP seems to fit the bill best for what you're asking. A used one should get you in under the $1000 ceiling.

ETA: Bang zoom: www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976639884.htm
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Kimber Tactical Custom II.   Magwell, checkering, ext. ambi safety, night sights.  I picked mine up for $900.  Only thing is, it has an aluminum alloy frame.  

Mine has been absolutely reliable and accurate as hell.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Kimber Tactical Custom II.   Magwell, checkering, ext. ambi safety, night sights.  I picked mine up for $900.  Only thing is, it has an aluminum alloy frame.  

I sdidn't know it had all those features.  There's one on EE now methinks....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Photo of mine:

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Photo of mine:

grahamcracka.dns2go.com/kimbertcii.jpg

doesn't have quite the grip safety I'm looking for.  Looks like I might have to go the custom route or just be happy with my KZ...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#9]
STI Trojan
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

over budget.

No it's not...www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976646262.htm  Under a grand.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]
How about the Sig GSR Revolution?  I'm not a huge fan of external extractors, but everything else fits.  It has night sights, checkered front and back strap, good grips and doesn't have a single MIM part in it.  The magwell is beveled and and actual mag well is easy to install.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

over budget.

checkering and a magwell come free?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
chapperjoe,

It seems to me that you need to take the time to research what each manufacturer has to offer. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to post a "pick my 1911" thread when you don't really have a firm grasp of the options available to to you. I bet you could narrow it down to five or six guns by this time tomorrow, and then let total strangers pick your gun out of that list.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
chapperjoe,

It seems to me that you need to take the time to research what each manufacturer has to offer. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to post a "pick my 1911" thread when you don't really have a firm grasp of the options available to to you. I bet you could narrow it down to five or six guns by this time tomorrow, and then let total strangers pick your gun out of that list.

[email protected]

I honestly don't know enough about 1911's to pick a RELIABLE one.  The gun rags say all 1911's are reliable but I've had a different experience.  I can pick which ones have the features I want, but reliability is what I'm asking about here.... e/g/ what reliable pistol has front strap checkring, hi cut front strap, SA magwell, brown-type grip safety.......  for a grand?

I could probably answer my own question were it not for that.  I don't have the experience to make this call.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

over budget.

checkering and a magwell come free?

No but honestly, they're over rated.  My MH has a magwell, and it's nicely done but I could do without it.  Checkering while nice, is also somewhat overrated.  I think a set of VZ or gunner grips will provide all the grip you need.

From what I've seen all the stuff you're looking for, for the price you're looking for, and in the condition you're looking for doesn't exist.

R
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
chapperjoe,

[email protected]

I honestly don't know enough about 1911's to pick a RELIABLE one.  The gun rags say all 1911's are reliable but I've had a different experience.  I can pick which ones have the features I want, but reliability is what I'm asking about here.... e/g/ what reliable pistol has front strap checkring, hi cut front strap, SA magwell, brown-type grip safety.......  for a grand?

I could probably answer my own question were it not for that.  I don't have the experience to make this call.

I would recommend buying a Sprinfield Loaded, and a whole lot of practce ammo. By the time the gun has proven utter reliability (1000+ rounds), you will know just how bad you want the features you selected above. At this point, it seems you are putting the cart before the horse. You said reliability was the most important, but you also said you'd only spend $1000, and that you had to have a specific feature set. That is flawed.

Buy a relatively basic gun. Shoot said gun. Once you have trust in gun, make any necessary changes. Then shoot a lot more.

Nobody knows if your gun will be reliable...not me, not AJ, not SGB, not some dork at your favorite gun mag. You have to shoot it. Each ndividual firearm has to prove itself.

C'mon, man.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been throwing rounds downrange through the two I've found reliable so far (Kimber TLE/RL II Pro and Wilson KZ) and like them obviously, and I've been through two SA's (one cheap one premium) and hated them.

I don't want a hi-cut checkered front strap... I NEED it.  I've shot with and without and you'll note from my present 1911's that it's a necessity.  I can't stand SA's front strap (small fingers) and don't really like the kimber grip safety all that much either.  I've never had a firing problem, but I'm never sure if I have it down or not.  Once again, never had a problem with no bang, but I like the assurance of that bump in my palm.

If it weren't for that, a Kimber Tactical II would fit the bill fine....  I wonder if I can orde rit and have them put in the ed brown safety.  But then I'd be paying MSRP for the whole shebang right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like you need to save some more money so you can have your cake and eat it too.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a SA "loaded"
Send it to YoBo for a hi grip cut ($60)
Get it reparked
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Get a SA "loaded"
Get it reparked

Rich,

he still needs his Brown grip safety, short trigger, checkering, and magwell...

...All for a grand.

I am not laughing at you. I just find this whole thing funny. You want something that isn't feasible, and we're the geniuses that are jumping all over trying to help.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
---Kimber Warrior---

+1.  If you look really hard, and add some patience, I don't think it's over the $1,000 budget.

OK, this is real close, just hold on for a few weeks to add the S&H and transfer fees.Kimber Warrior 45acp New in Box in stock
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#23]
money's not lacking.  I just set an arbitrary artifical limit to keep myself from goinginto the custom -1911 range.  was hoping to get what I wanted factory.  Best bet seems to be a kimber tactical with a ed brown grip safety installed at kimber....  any options other than the big guys (Kimber, Colt, SA)????
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
---Kimber Warrior---

+1.  If you look really hard, and add some patience, I don't think it's over the $1,000 budget.

OK, this is real close, just hold on for a few weeks to add the S&H and transfer fees.Kimber Warrior 45acp New in Box in stock

warrior with a SA magwell would also be perfefct.  exactly the kind of gun I'm looking for...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a SA "loaded"
Get it reparked

Rich,

...All for a grand.

I am not laughing at you. I just find this whole thing funny. You want something that isn't feasible, and we're the geniuses that are jumping all over trying to help.

what is yobo?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Ted Yost of "Yost-Bonitz"  Do a search here for Yo-Bo and look on the gunsmith links for his work.  Top notch stuff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#27]
kimber TLE II with the light rail
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

what is yobo?

Yost-Bontiz  that essentially gets you in the custom arena.

There are a number of ways to accomplish what you want.  Have you considered going semi-custom?  You could get yourself a Springfield Loaded and send it off to any decent 'smith for a high cut front, checkering, Browns beavertail and have a better extractor installed and finish up right around $1000.  In fact, there is a local 'smith that could do the work for you.  See Tim Bachus at gilberts in Springfield.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a SA "loaded"
Get it reparked

Rich,

...All for a grand.

what is yobo?

Yost-Bonitz give them a look they can build what you want.  There work is top notch.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]
This is laughable. Seriously.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#31]
If checking is going to put you over budget, use skateboard tape on the frontstrap.

Cheap, easily replaced, works great.

Beware corrosion on carbon steel frame under the tape, though, unless you apply gunkote or some other protective finish.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
This is laughable. Seriously.

[email protected]

huh?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Joe, I really think you should just save up so you can get exactly what you want. Tuna sandwiches instead of buying lunch usually works pretty well. At least that's what I do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#34]

A $500 Springfield 1911A1 and a $500 trip to a good, but not outrageous, smith will probably get you everything you want.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got home tonight with kick ass used 1911 (more my budget than new)

colt combat target, trigger job, rosewood stocks, etc. 10 quality mags, IDPA rig, dillon prog. press set up, new brass, loaded rounds, etc.--first 1911 w/ mag well I've had, fully checkered

$1000--other guys passed on it

couldn't pass on it, paid what he asked

already love my para 14 limited, colt .38 el ceno 1911, & .45 officers--only failures could have been avoided by picking out some buldged reloads over last decade, I maintain them well, trust them all w/ fact. ammo (all $1000 guns in my opinion)

I save my money by not buying lame guns and just add (mostly used) kick ass pieces to collection

I get some cooler ones than I could afford brand new, I think quality pieces get better after broken in anyway
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Just got home tonight with kick ass used 1911 (more my budget than new)

colt combat target, trigger job, rosewood stocks, etc. 10 quality mags, IDPA rig, dillon prog. press set up, new brass, loaded rounds, etc.--first 1911 w/ mag well I've had, fully checkered

$1000--other guys passed on it

I'd love to see some photos of that Colt.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#37]
disassembled, pretty dirty, needs new shock buff and springs, but hey, I got em

turns out front is not checkered, but had cheesy piece inserted, I removed

But the front grip is cut up above triggerguard, wonder if Colt fact??

will clean and get photo tommorrow

plus mag well is a little cheesy and not blended, verdict still out on that one

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#38]
what'll it cost to get a non SS front strap checkered and hi cut and a mag well installed?  That's what it would take on a 700$ SA loaded to get what I want.

On the other hand... I can get a grand raptor and just add a SA magwell.....

good price?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
what'll it cost to get a non SS front strap checkered and hi cut and a mag well installed?  That's what it would take on a 700$ SA loaded to get what I want.

On the other hand... I can get a grand raptor and just add a SA magwell.....

good price?

Yeah, but the SA would still look like a 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top