Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 4:09:52 AM EDT
Anybody know first hand about his quality? Supposed to be a good 1911 and revolver smith.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you asking about Virgil Tripp or Vic Tibbets?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]

That's what I get for rushing. It's Victor Tibbets. I've heard a lot of good things about him but the website address I find shows nothing but airsoft stuff so I don't know whether he's given up the site, or what.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, Vic doesn't do any more custom work; he has been involved in Guncrafter Industries project for past two years and has shut down his own gunsmithing business. It's sad, too, since he's one of the most talented smiths out there, and his work is amazing and is on the same level as Chuck Rogers, John Harrison and a handful of others.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Thanks for the info, guys. Too bad. Many good smiths out there but I never like to see another one out of the market. Had both a revolver and a 1911 project in mind and had heard he was good for both. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks. Some of his services seem expensive, some pretty reasonable. I'll give him a look.

Anybody else have a favorite smith--especially good on double action revolvers?

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anybody else have a favorite smith--especially good on double action revolvers?

Not a revolver guy, but a great 1911 smith - John Harrison of Precision Gunworks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you asking about Virgil Tripp or Vic Tibbets?

I think he ment:

Virgil Tibbs
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks Aleko. John's list of 1911 mods looks interesting and reasonable. First guy I've noticed lately that detents the slide stop--something Bill Wilson used to recommend. John sure looks familiar. Wonder if I've seen him somewhere--I spent a lot of time in north GA over the past 3 years.

Strange event today--looked at a test target on a Wilson gun I had built several years ago and who was the first to sign it? Victor Tibbets. And also most of the current crew of Nighthawk. It's a keeper.

Still need a good revolver guy for some mild work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top