Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 7:35:42 PM EDT
Here is the background. 2007 will be the 40th anneversry(?) of my dad leaving Vietnam. He was a medic in the 25th. He flew around in the Huey's and saved many lives, I'm quite proud to call him dad.
He told me he only carried a 1911 over there.

I would like to get him a 1911 for Veterans day 2007 to say thank you to him. I know he went through alot of shit for his service(he was spit on by a protester in San Fran. airport when he came back, called a babykiller, etc.)

My question is, what would be a good choice?
I want a shooter, something like what he carried. No safe queens.
My first thought was something like a RRA Gov. model, but maybe a Colt would be more appropriate.
Then I thought, maybe a real gov. model but I can't seem to find any for a resonable price. What is a realistic price for a retired gov. pistol?

If I get an old G.I. Colt, it would need rebluing or parkerizing to look nice. Would that ruin it's value if I get it refinished? Or maybe the wear would add character?What would you rather have?

I guess another option would be a new Colt.

I am thinking about getting some grips engraved also, something simple. Maybe a red cross symbol on one side and a tropic lightning on the other. Maybe 1967 on one side and 2007 on the other. Anyone know a company that could do something like that?

I'm also looking for a good G.I. holster circa 1960's style, what did they look like?

My budget is about $600. If I can't do that, I may be able to get more from other family members.I don't think I could go over $1000.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield GI model, new.

Along with the holster, it should put you well within budget.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get a nice Series 70 Colt, made shortly after he left Vietnam (different roll marks though) for about $700.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

Almost all the online places have 1911 USGI type holsters.

SARCO

Northridge Inc.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2   Perfect choice for your price range.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Just in my opinion, wear on 1911s is BEAUTIFUL.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I gave one of these to my work partner as a Christmas Gift last year.....Works well and looks good right out of the box, and definitely will fit within your budget!

Sean
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Caspian has GI holsters . BTW, they will engrave up a 1911 nicely with GI rollmarks. They have a couple of different frame variations as well, if you wanted to build a GI pistol. Several people on 1911 Forum have built GI Caspians up for gifts. The Carbon Classic Receiver:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top