Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 11:40:01 AM EDT
Earlier today I went out to the range for a very enjoyable 2 1/2 hour session.  Shot 300 in my 1911 and 100 in my P99.

However, I ran into some problems with my 1911.  I'm 99.99999% sure it is not the gun.  The 1911, a SW1911PD came with two "ACT-MAG" mags with the S&W logo printed on them.  I then looked online and found ACT-MAG mags but with the Novak's logo on them.  Same mag, just different logo, all brand new and I bought 4.

I would say that 2 or 3 of the 4 gave me issues during my range session with not loading the first or 2nd round.  The force of the slide being released would sometimes not be enough to put that first round in.

OR... the 2nd round would get stuck when being inserted into the chamer and I'd have to just clear it.

Now, here's another bit of info.  Until this session I've used Magtech 230g FMJ.  This time I used (CCI) Independence 230g FMJ.  These rounds look cheap but I think the problem lies with the mags.

It would seem to me a simple solution to finding the problem would be to try the Independence ammo in my original mags and see if I had the same issue.. correct?  And if I did I'd know it was the ammo and not the mags.  Then to double check I could try Magtech in the new magazines and see if that works nice as well.

Thoughts?  Btw below are two links to videos of this happening.  On the one instance I was able to just pull the slide back a little and let it rechamber.  The other one, I had to pop out the round.

VIDEO 1

VIDEO 2
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a more powerful mainspring...just my .02 cents worth...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had the same problem with brand new pistol magazines for a 1911, a 1935, and a P99. The 1935 (Hi Power) was the worst, with the top two rounds not feeding out of the 17 round mags. With new springs it sometimes takes a number of cycles to give the spring a 'set'. You might also go to a stronger recoil spring.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the ideas.  I will do further testing after xmas ;)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
from the looks of the video the weapon appreared not to be fully returning to battery....

-did you try hitting the slide from the rear and sending it back into battery?  
-and is the weapon clean and oiled?  

dont mean to ask stupid questions but just want to rule those out first.  1911's are notorious for failure to battery malfuntions....especially when dry and in colder temps
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it broke in, most say it takes about 500 rnds, but I wait until 750-1,000 before I consider it broke in
Icon
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't try to push the slide forward, but now thinking about it and that would've made the round go in.  I just figured I'd followed standard procedure.  Didn't wanna jam it or anything.

Definitely cleaned and oiled, not a prob there.

Broken in?  Nope.  I went through 300 rounds on the new mags with the 4 new mags.  I still have plenty more rounds to test and get em broken in though.

I just kinda found it odd that these would give me troubles when the standard SW logo'ed ones performed so nicely--that is what made me purchase these ACT-MAGs, the no-problem performance :P

Also on note of cold temps.  I think it was about 38F outside, and the last time I shot 200 rounds on my factory mags that came w/ the gun it was about 28F or so, and no probs there.

Thanks again--I'm sure I'll figure out what's goin on here :)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Follow up:  I tested new ammo in old mags and the guy who runs the local range and I both agree that it's the ammo.

I had 12 failure to chambers in 200 rounds today.  I saved every round that caused problems and when we inspected them afterwards we both noticed that the edge of the brass where it meets the bullet was VERY rough.. like crazy rough compared to the other ammo I have.  I rubbed that brass comapred to my Hornady and there is literally no comparison--it is ridiculously rough.

So, I have 500 rounds left.  I'm going to try and return it.

Note to self: Do not buy Independence ammo again.  I'll stick with Magtech for the range.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't shoot a lot of hardball, but I didn't have good luck with Independance either...2 malfs out of 100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top