Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 2:39:54 PM EDT
I'd like to get a shoulder rig for my fullsize 1911.  I prefer the magazines to sit horizontally, but given the size of the pistol I'm guessing I'd want it to be vertical.  I've never carried in a vertical rig before though, and wonder how difficult it is to draw.  Also, with my horizontal rig that I had for my Glock, I never needed to use the tie-downs.  Is it possible to use the vertical rig without a tie-down.

I've heard good things about the Alessi Fieldmaster, but at over $200 I want to get some feedback before I order one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to admit that I love my Alessi.  I have one for my Beretta 92.  It is a horizontal and is real comfortable.  It does print depnding on what jacket I am wearing.  The spare mags are in a vertical not horizontal pouch.  Exactly reverse of  what you are looking for. Te down is on the Mag side or can be replace with the cuff pouch that I have.  As for fit and finish.. what can i say except bbbuuuutttttttaaaaaaahhhhhhh.  Very stiff at first but after letting my pistol get nice and intemit with it they just work.  My draws with this rig is not as fast as I am with my draws from th waist.  That is just the nature of the beast.

Was it worth the asking price of the rig??? Heck yes and then some.  Would I recomend to you for a 1911??  Oh yes you will not be sorry.  Call em up and tell them what you would like to have and how you would like to have it.  Hope I have helped you.

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The Mitch Rosen, though very expensive, is quite nice.  Is it worth the $$...that I do not know, being that I am not a huge shoulder holster fan.  His work is top of the line, though.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Mitch Rosen, though very expensive, is quite nice.  Is it worth the $$...that I do not know, being that I am not a huge shoulder holster fan.  His work is top of the line, though.  

I like Rosen's work, but his mag pouch is vertical which I'm not fond of.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, so I know I want a horizontal mag pouch, but does anyone have a take on horizontal vs. vertical gun placement?  I'm relatively thin (6'-1", 180 lbs) and I'm not sure I could effectively conceal a fullsize 1911 horizontally.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Galco Miami Classic has served me well for years.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the Miami Classic, I have three and love them (though yes, the mags are vertical). I carried a Commander in one for years. As to a full size 1911, I'll have to let you know in a couple of weeks.

Galco also has a new Vertical holster component, which fits the Miami Classic's harness. It looks pretty good, and I'll be buying one next month.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Steve

Ditto...20 years and counting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

Ditto...20 years and counting.

+1

I just bought one new recently.  I love it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is the best IMO.  Horizontal gun (I carry my full size Para P14 in a horizontal rig), horizontal magazines and best of all... a strap across the back to stabilize the rig w/o attaching it to your pants.
Monarch

Oh, and you can get a variety of options for the offside.
offside
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here is the best IMO.  Horizontal gun (I carry my full size Para P14 in a horizontal rig), horizontal magazines and best of all... a strap across the back to stabilize the rig w/o attaching it to your pants.
Monarch

They also have a vertical rig that looks kinda cool.

Click Springbreak
www.andrewsleather.com/
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
 Check out some of Josh Bulman's stuff. I have a horizontal for a colt 380 govt model and it is my favorite. He makes horizontal mag carriers iirc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I already have a Miami Classic for the Glock.  That's how I know that vertical mag pouches don't work for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top